Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
angry-brian

Default word 2003 fails to open

Word 2003 fails to open most of the time. If I switch computer off and
start again it opens in 'safe mode' but when I try to open a file it goes
into a 'virus check' routine and then hangs for ever. When I shut down it
says it is preparing an error report but just hangs for ever. I've tried
reloading the whole package but it makes no difference.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

The virus scan message comes not from Word but from linked anti-virus
software. Checking of Word/Office documents can usually be deselected in the
AV program e.g. in Norton AV by turning off its Office Plug-in.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Other AV apps eg the popular free ediition of Grisoft's AVG antivirus
software, require similar treatment.
In this instance:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"