Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

Default how to remove empty lines from a label mail merge

i have created a label mail merge using data from an address list (excel) not
all of the fields used have details ie address 2 is blank in some cases -
however i am unable to make the address lines shuffle up so there are no
blank lines on my lables
can anyone assist?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You need to use an If...then...Else field construction that checks for the
existence of data in Address 2. If there is none, it inserts the
mergefields that otherwise be on the next line; If there is data, it
inserts the Address 2 data and then inserts a carriage return and then the
mergefields for the next line.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "Address 2" } = "" "{ MERGEFIELD "City" } { MERGEFIELD
"State" } { MERGEFIELD "Zip" }" "{ MERGFIELD "Address 2" }[Enter]
{ MERGEFIELD "City" } { MERGEFIELD "State" } { MERGEFIELD "Zip" }" }

Ignore any line breaks that appear in the above in this message and where
[Enter] appears in the above field construction, press the "Enter" key.

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you use
Alt+F9 to toggle of their display.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne" wrote in message
i have created a label mail merge using data from an address list (excel)
not
all of the fields used have details ie address 2 is blank in some cases -
however i am unable to make the address lines shuffle up so there are no
blank lines on my lables
can anyone assist?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tech Trainer Tech Trainer is offline

Hello Doug, I'm having this problem for letters in 2007. Would this label
fix also work for letters and am I putting the If...Then..else statement in
the letter where the address block should go? Sorry if I am being dense and
thanks for your help.

Kim

"Suzanne" wrote in message
i have created a label mail merge using data from an address list (excel)
not
all of the fields used have details ie address 2 is blank in some cases -
however i am unable to make the address lines shuffle up so there are no
blank lines on my lables
can anyone assist?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It will work for any type of mail merge. You should not however use the
Address Block field. Use the individual merge fields in your data source in
the configuration that you want them.

--

"Suzanne" wrote in message
i have created a label mail merge using data from an address list
(excel)
not
all of the fields used have details ie address 2 is blank in some
cases -
however i am unable to make the address lines shuffle up so there are
no
blank lines on my lables
can anyone assist?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bob Bell Bob Bell is offline

Why has this changed?

It worked fine in 2003 with out all this fuss!

What a step backwards!!

Bob

"Suzanne" wrote in message
i have created a label mail merge using data from an address list
(excel)
not
all of the fields used have details ie address 2 is blank in some
cases -
however i am unable to make the address lines shuffle up so there are
no
blank lines on my lables
can anyone assist?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It hasn't changed. If anything it has improved, but it was only ever
reasonably reliable for US addresses. Using individual fields always
provided more control.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

You need to use an If...then...Else field construction that checks
for the
existence of data in Address 2. If there is none, it inserts the
mergefields that otherwise be on the next line; If there is data,
it inserts the Address 2 data and then inserts a carriage return
and then the
mergefields for the next line.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "Address 2" } = "" "{ MERGEFIELD "City" } {
MERGEFIELD "State" } { MERGEFIELD "Zip" }" "{ MERGFIELD "Address
2" }[Enter] { MERGEFIELD "City" } { MERGEFIELD "State" } {
MERGEFIELD "Zip" }" }

Ignore any line breaks that appear in the above in this message
and where [Enter] appears in the above field construction, press
the "Enter" key.

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { }
and you use
Alt+F9 to toggle of their display.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP