Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kwalityguy

Default Why does Word close when I close a file?

When I close a file, Word program automatically closes. If I want to open
another file, I have to re-open Word. How can I leave Word open all the time
and open/close files whenever I want?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Is that any file when more than one file is open, or when you close the
single file that is open

What version of Word? For some stupid reason that behaviour has been
implemented in Word 2007. The way around it there is to add the File Close
icon to the QAT and use that to close documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kwalityguy" wrote in message
When I close a file, Word program automatically closes. If I want to open
another file, I have to re-open Word. How can I leave Word open all the
time
and open/close files whenever I want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kwalityguy

It happens when I close the last file open. I use Word 2003. I use a Close
File icon on the toolbar to close the files. When I click on this icon and
close the last file I have open, the program closes too and I have to reopen
Word.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Is that any file when more than one file is open, or when you close the
single file that is open

What version of Word? For some stupid reason that behaviour has been
implemented in Word 2007. The way around it there is to add the File Close
icon to the QAT and use that to close documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kwalityguy" wrote in message
When I close a file, Word program automatically closes. If I want to open
another file, I have to re-open Word. How can I leave Word open all the
time
and open/close files whenever I want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

When there is only one file open, there will be two X's at the top right of
the screen, Click on the smaller, inner one to close the document.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Is that any file when more than one file is open, or when you close the
single file that is open

What version of Word? For some stupid reason that behaviour has been
implemented in Word 2007. The way around it there is to add the File
Close
icon to the QAT and use that to close documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kwalityguy" wrote in message
When I close a file, Word program automatically closes. If I want to
open
another file, I have to re-open Word. How can I leave Word open all
the
time
and open/close files whenever I want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kwalityguy

Not that I know of. The program closing happens on every document regardless
of the type of document or who created the document.

I had a co worker open a Word file and close it. Her Word stays running and
does not close when she closed the file.

I also tried closing the file by File, Close and Crtl W. Word closed when
the file closed in both instances.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Is that any file when more than one file is open, or when you close
the
single file that is open

What version of Word? For some stupid reason that behaviour has been
implemented in Word 2007. The way around it there is to add the File
Close
icon to the QAT and use that to close documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kwalityguy" wrote in message
When I close a file, Word program automatically closes. If I want
open
another file, I have to re-open Word. How can I leave Word open all
the
time
and open/close files whenever I want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rebecca Bauer Rebecca Bauer is offline

I have the exact same problem. I haven't found the answer yet, but I did
find a workaround. Open your first file and type in a word like "TEST".
Leave that file open all day and go about your work. Now, since you are
never closing the last file, your WORD will stay open. I hope an answer is
found soon. Very annoying. Rebecca

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Is that any file when more than one file is open, or when you close
the
single file that is open

What version of Word? For some stupid reason that behaviour has been
implemented in Word 2007. The way around it there is to add the File
Close
icon to the QAT and use that to close documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kwalityguy" wrote in message
When I close a file, Word program automatically closes. If I want
open
another file, I have to re-open Word. How can I leave Word open all
the
time
and open/close files whenever I want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sullymeister Sullymeister is offline

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem, which I am also having?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Is there a FileClose() macro in the template or in an add-in

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kwalityguy" wrote in message
news Nope, the program still closes when I click the smaller inner on closest
the document.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Is that any file when more than one file is open, or when you close
the
single file that is open

What version of Word? For some stupid reason that behaviour has been
implemented in Word 2007. The way around it there is to add the File
Close
icon to the QAT and use that to close documents.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kwalityguy" wrote in message
When I close a file, Word program automatically closes. If I want
open
another file, I have to re-open Word. How can I leave Word open all
the
time
and open/close files whenever I want?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gladys Gladys is offline

Ok.....It is starting with me this afternoon. It was working fine. I
installed office 2003 in July. I know to close the "Lower" X to close a
document. But when you hit the Last Document it closes the entire application.

Microsoft - What is going on?