Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
book_worm71[_2_] book_worm71[_2_] is offline

Default TOC affected by IF field code

I'm inserting chapters into my document using the IncludeText field. The
chapter I am trying to insert now has its own TOC. Here's what's happening:

1) If I just use the IncludeText field to include the chapter, everything is
fine - the chapter appears and its TOC shows the proper headings and is
numbered properly.

2) As soon as I'd put IncludeText inside an "IF" field, I was getting dummy
headings appearing in the TOC. Stefan was able to fix this issue by
suggesting the use of \! The dummy headings disappeared.

3) BUT now the numbering of the TOC now resets to 1, 1.1, 1.2, instead of
reflecting the appropriate chapter numbers. I'm guessing this might be the \!
switch preserving the numbering in the chapter document.

Is there some way to conditionally insert a chapter and still have the
numbering of the chapter's TOC work properly in the main document? What
bewilders me is that it works fine without the "IF" field, and as soon as the
"IF" field is added everything goes out the window. Is Word even meant for
this, or should I be using Framemaker or some other solution?

Thanks again for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi book_worm71,

Why do you have an IF field associated with the TOC? What is the IF field's coding?

Have you considered using a document that contains only a TOC constructed with the use of RD fields?

--
Cheers
macropod

"book_worm71" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
book_worm71 book_worm71 is offline

Default RD

The reason for this approach is that the chapter in question contains
subheadings associated with descriptions of about 200 software commands. A
complete list of these commands would make the TOC at the beginning unwieldy,
but the same list would be very useful at the beginning of the chapter.
However that chapter only belongs in the main document under certain
circumstances.

The IF code appears as follows:

{if processor = "68hc12" {includetext "68hc12_instruction_set.doc"}}

and inside that referenced document is {toc \b inst_set "2-2" \o"} with the
appropriate text bookmarked.

That first includetext works perfectly *until* it's nested in the "IF"
field, which I find really strange.

Thanks for the RD suggestion, I was unaware of the RD approach so I'll
look into it. Hopefully that will enable me to accomplish this. So far I'm
finding that Word behaves unpredictably and does not seem very intuitive.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
book_worm71[_2_] book_worm71[_2_] is offline

The reason for this approach is that the chapter in question contains
subheadings associated with descriptions of about 200 software commands. A
complete list of these commands would make the TOC at the beginning of the
main document unwieldy, but the same list would be very useful at the

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi book_worm71,

A workaround for this - perhaps too late for your current project- is to define the Heading for the software commands with a
different Heading Style. That Style could be formatted to look and behave in all material respects, the same as what you now have.
Even its appearance in the TOC could be made to look the same. Then, all you need to do is to include that Heading level in the
individual Chapter TOCs, but not in the main document TOC.

--

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
book_worm71[_2_] book_worm71[_2_] is offline

I thought about that, but then I was afraid I would mess something up while
trying to set up numbering for those new headers, so that they would still be
numbered with the rest of the document at the appropriate level. Would I
somehow link the new header style to the header above it? Based on Word's
unpredictable behavior so far (and my inexpertise) I feel like something is
going to break.

It seems like a Master Document might be the way to go, but I keep reading
that it performs poorly.

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi book_worm71,

You could link the Heading Style for the software commands to any suitable higher-level Heading Style.

As for the Master Document 'feature', avoid it like the plague if you value your work. There's nothing of consequence that Master
Documents offer that you can't achieve via INCLUDETEXT and/or RD fields, without the risk of document corruption. In any event, they
wouldn't address you current problem.

--

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
book_worm71[_2_] book_worm71[_2_] is offline

When you say "nothing of consequence" does that include cross references?
We're hoping to convert some documents and they typically include several
cross references.

Thanks very much for all your help.

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi book_worm71,

Yes, with a bit of work using SET and INCLUDTEXT fields, you can have cross-references spanning multiple documents.