Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phrank Phrank is offline

Default Combining separate Word documents into one document

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to easily combine several (many) MS Word
(2003) documents into a single document. The catch is that I need to
be able to maintain the original formatting of each individual
document in the main document. I have many wide and varied formats
(portrait, landscape, varied margins and styles, etc.), so simply
combining them doesn't work. Normally, we convert the documents to
PDF and then combine them, which is much easier, but we have a client
that wants a combined Word version of this document. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Frank
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Download boiler.zip from Graham Mayor's site. This utility/macro lets you
chose which files you want to combine. Chose the option the add new
documents following a section break, next page which should enable you to
insert each document and keep its format. However, I am unsure how it will
handle portrait/landscape combinations, but give it a test.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Phrank" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to easily combine several (many) MS Word
(2003) documents into a single document. The catch is that I need to
be able to maintain the original formatting of each individual
document in the main document. I have many wide and varied formats
(portrait, landscape, varied margins and styles, etc.), so simply
combining them doesn't work. Normally, we convert the documents to
PDF and then combine them, which is much easier, but we have a client
that wants a combined Word version of this document. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phrank Phrank is offline

Hi Terry,

We do already extensively use this awesome utility; however, as you
noted, it doesn't handle the portrait/landscape combinations well. I
understand that MS Word is just not designed for something like this,
but when one is trying to be responsive to customers' requests, one
looks in every nook and crany to find a solution - especially in these
economic times. I'll look deeper into the boiler macro to see if we
can do something. Thanks Terry.

Frank

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:49:45 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

Download boiler.zip from Graham Mayor's site. This utility/macro lets you
chose which files you want to combine. Chose the option the add new
documents following a section break, next page which should enable you to
insert each document and keep its format. However, I am unsure how it will
handle portrait/landscape combinations, but give it a test.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

It would be a simple matter to come up with a macro that can handle the
variations that you mention. It probably just requires the insertion of a
next one is inserted after it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote:

Download boiler.zip from Graham Mayor's site. This utility/macro lets you
chose which files you want to combine. Chose the option the add new
documents following a section break, next page which should enable you to
insert each document and keep its format. However, I am unsure how it will
handle portrait/landscape combinations, but give it a test.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The boiler.dot macro does indeed insert a next page section break between
documents (if the option on the userform is checked), but there are limits
to what Word can do in a single document with disparate documents based on a
variety of templates.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com wrote:
It would be a simple matter to come up with a macro that can handle
the variations that you mention. It probably just requires the
insertion of a Next Page Section Break at the end of the each
inserted document before the next one is inserted after it.

wrote:

Download boiler.zip from Graham Mayor's site. This utility/macro
lets you chose which files you want to combine. Chose the option
the add new documents following a section break, next page which
should enable you to insert each document and keep its format.
However, I am unsure how it will handle portrait/landscape
combinations, but give it a test.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You will also find that printers don't handle portrait/landscape on a single
sheet of paper when duplex printing. So combining even manually when
documents are mixed orientation is always going to be a problem.

Terry Farrell

wrote:

Download boiler.zip from Graham Mayor's site. This utility/macro
lets you chose which files you want to combine. Chose the option
the add new documents following a section break, next page which
should enable you to insert each document and keep its format.
However, I am unsure how it will handle portrait/landscape
combinations, but give it a test.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phrank Phrank is offline

Thanks everyone for the input. It's pretty much as I thought, that we
would use the Boiler macro and then have to go back and fix what
didn't combine appropriately. The Boiler macro at least gets us a lot
closer. Thanks again.

Frank