Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tracker Tracker is offline

Default Deleting unwanted documents in Office Word 2007

Using Vista Home Premium. Can not see how to delete any unwanted documents
from list.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

Are you referring to word's "Most Recently Used" file list?

You can set the number of files in the list in File/Orb Word Options (Word
2007). As you use files, the latest opened will be added and the least
recently dropped. There is no "easy" way to remove particular files.

To clear the list, set the number to zero. Then set to the number you want.
To add files to the list "permanently", "Pin" them to the list by clicking
on the "push-pin" symbol next to the file name. To make the item
non-permanent, click again.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Tracker" wrote in message
Using Vista Home Premium. Can not see how to delete any unwanted
documents
from list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Tracker" wrote in message
Using Vista Home Premium. Can not see how to delete any unwanted
documents
from list.

I'm afraid you can't AFAIK. You can empty the list by reducing it to zero
but that's all. I think....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

PS

I debated for a while before deciding to add this. The list is kept in the
registry. It can be edited. However, unless you are absolutely certain you
know what you are doing, registry editing should not be done. Edit errors
are sometimes not easy to reverse. In any case, make sure you set a restore
point and back up the registry before making any changes.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Offi ce\12\Word\File\MRU

If you are asking yourself what to use to edit the registry, do get help or
do some further research before you start. Good luck.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
PS

I debated for a while before deciding to add this. The list is kept in the
registry. It can be edited. However, unless you are absolutely certain you
know what you are doing, registry editing should not be done. Edit errors
are sometimes not easy to reverse. In any case, make sure you set a
restore point and back up the registry before making any changes.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Offi ce\12\Word\File\MRU

If you are asking yourself what to use to edit the registry, do get help
or do some further research before you start. Good luck.

FWIW, the entire Office branch in the Registry is 'self-healing'. You can
delete it and it will be recreated using the defaults. Note that I'm not
saying "don't worry about being cautious" but knowing that you can't do a
lot of harm this area helps those who might be leery of making the edits.
:-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Using Word 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium

In the Recent Document list leave the document you want to remove unpinned
and pin all the other documents to the list (click draw pin to the right of
the document name). Save a new document to push the unpinned document off of
the list. Unpin the documents.

"Tracker" wrote:

Using Vista Home Premium. Can not see how to delete any unwanted documents
from list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It's self-infecting, too. ;-)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Beth Melton" wrote in message

FWIW, the entire Office branch in the Registry is 'self-healing'. You can
delete it and it will be recreated using the defaults. Note that I'm not
saying "don't worry about being cautious" but knowing that you can't do a
lot of harm this area helps those who might be leery of making the edits.
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I realize you are joking but I stand pretty firm on my belief that the
Registry doesn't 'self corrupt' and it's to a third-party. By "third party"
I mean an add-in or it's user related.

I know several will state otherwise but so far those who firmly believe
there are "gremlins in the Registry" have yet to rise to my challenge to
prove me wrong. ;-)
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
It's self-infecting, too. ;-)

"Beth Melton" wrote in message

FWIW, the entire Office branch in the Registry is 'self-healing'. You can
delete it and it will be recreated using the defaults. Note that I'm not
saying "don't worry about being cautious" but knowing that you can't do a
lot of harm this area helps those who might be leery of making the edits.
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The list is stored in the registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12\Wor d\FileMRU, from where you
can delete individual entries
or see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Recent_Files_List_Editor.htm

Gordon wrote:
"Tracker" wrote in message
Using Vista Home Premium. Can not see how to delete any unwanted
documents
from list.

I'm afraid you can't AFAIK. You can empty the list by reducing it to
zero but that's all. I think....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Florence Florence is offline

I am having trouble deleting documents. Also when I click the WORD Icon, this
document I thought I deleted show up everytime. How do I make that go away.

"Tracker" wrote:

Using Vista Home Premium. Can not see how to delete any unwanted documents
from list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

The best way to delete documents is by using Windows Explorer.

For your other problem, see the article "Why is my "Blank Document" not
blank?" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Tracker" wrote:

Using Vista Home Premium. Can not see how to delete any unwanted
documents
from list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Documents will show up on the Office Button MRU list after they have been
deleted. You can clear the entire list by setting the number to zero, or you
can remove them selectively by editing the Registry. Terry Farrell has
written an article on how to do the latter, but it has not yet been
published; perhaps he'll post here with instructions.

http://word.mvps.org

"Tracker" wrote:

Using Vista Home Premium. Can not see how to delete any unwanted
documents
from list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The list is stored in the registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12\Wor d\FileMRU, from where you
can delete individual entries
or
You can use the following macro which will reset the list to your preset
preferred number of displayed documents:

Sub ClearMRU
Application.DisplayRecentFiles = True
listsize = RecentFiles.Maximum
RecentFiles.Maximum = 0