Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gummo Gummo is offline

Default Blank Line

I've created a table, centred (allegedly)and just about filling a single page. The problem is that, because of a blank line below the table, it isn't truly centred vertically.

I can find no reference to the issue on The Net and Microsoft advise only to centre it in the way I did originally.

Apart from making the offending line 1 point in font size and 1 point in paragraph spacing, does anyone know a way of making it disappear completely?

Gummo
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Gummo,

You could format the trailing paragraph's font as hidden. That will allow a true vertical centering of the table.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Gummo" wrote in message ...
I've created a table, centred (allegedly)and just about filling a single page. The problem is that, because of a blank line below
the table, it isn't truly centred vertically.

I can find no reference to the issue on The Net and Microsoft advise only to centre it in the way I did originally.

Apart from making the offending line 1 point in font size and 1 point in paragraph spacing, does anyone know a way of making it
disappear completely?

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

As macropod says, you can make it Hidden, but, FWIW, mathematically centered
pages aren't really optically centered; I'd be inclined to leave the blank
line alone for a more pleasing appearance.

http://word.mvps.org

"Gummo" wrote in message
I've created a table, centred (allegedly)and just about filling a single
page. The problem is that, because of a blank line below the table, it
isn't truly centred vertically.

I can find no reference to the issue on The Net and Microsoft advise only to
centre it in the way I did originally.

Apart from making the offending line 1 point in font size and 1 point in
paragraph spacing, does anyone know a way of making it disappear completely?

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gummo Gummo is offline

"macropod" wrote in message
You could format the trailing paragraph's font as hidden.

Thanks macropod. Forgive my thickness but can you please explain how I do
that?

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gummo Gummo is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
As macropod says, you can make it Hidden, but, FWIW, mathematically
centered pages aren't really optically centered; I'd be inclined to leave
the blank line alone for a more pleasing appearance.

I know what you mean but I need the table to correspond to labels I'm
printing.

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Gummo,

Select the paragraph, then use Format|Font and select 'hidden'.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Gummo" wrote in message ...
"macropod" wrote in message
You could format the trailing paragraph's font as hidden.

Thanks macropod. Forgive my thickness but can you please explain how I do
that?

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

In that case, you should be using a label setup (Tools | Letters and
Mailings | Envelopes and Labels), and Word would take care of the layout for
you.

http://word.mvps.org

"Gummo" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
As macropod says, you can make it Hidden, but, FWIW, mathematically
centered pages aren't really optically centered; I'd be inclined to leave
the blank line alone for a more pleasing appearance.

I know what you mean but I need the table to correspond to labels I'm
printing.

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gummo Gummo is offline

"macropod" wrote in message
Hi Gummo,

Select the paragraph, then use Format|Font and select 'hidden'.

Many thanks, macropod!

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gummo Gummo is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In that case, you should be using a label setup (Tools | Letters and
Mailings | Envelopes and Labels), and Word would take care of the layout
for you.

I'd looked at that previously but I found it too fiddly. Isn't it only for
pages with the same contents in each label?

I found the table method (apart from the blank line) quickly adaptable no
matter what size the label.

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

No. If you click New Document in the Label dialog, you get a page with the
labels set up as a table, and you can add whatever content you like.

http://word.mvps.org

"Gummo" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In that case, you should be using a label setup (Tools | Letters and
Mailings | Envelopes and Labels), and Word would take care of the layout
for you.

I'd looked at that previously but I found it too fiddly. Isn't it only
for pages with the same contents in each label?

I found the table method (apart from the blank line) quickly adaptable no
matter what size the label.

Gummo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gummo Gummo is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No. If you click New Document in the Label dialog, you get a page with the
labels set up as a table, and you can add whatever content you like.

Excellent, Suzanne - many thanks.

Gummo