Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mpurewal mpurewal is offline

Default TOC repeating page numbers

The table of contents in my word document keeps repeating the page numbers.
When I update the table the page numbers get corrected and saving it and
opening it again doesn't cause an issue; the page numbers remain '3', '5',
and '8'.

However when I attach the document in Outlook as an attachement all the page
numbers say '3'. The hyperlinks still go to the correct page '3', '5' and
'8'. I've looked at the styles and they are good and I've deleted the TOC and
made a new one. Same issue and only when I attach it to an e-mail in Outlook.
I'm using Word 2003.

Please advise. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This is a known problem when recipients of an attachment open it in Reading
Layout view. There is nothing you can do from your end except make
suggestions:

1. You can suggest that recipients disable Reading Layout view (Tools |
Options | General). Some of them may thank you for information on how to do
this.

2. You can suggest that recipients save the attachment to the hard drive
before opening instead of opening it directly (Reading Layout view is
triggered only by opening an attachment directly).

3. You can suggest that recipients switch from Reading Layout view to Print
Layout view and update the TOC (F9).

"mpurewal" wrote in message
The table of contents in my word document keeps repeating the page

numbers.
When I update the table the page numbers get corrected and saving it and
opening it again doesn't cause an issue; the page numbers remain '3', '5',
and '8'.

However when I attach the document in Outlook as an attachement all the

page
numbers say '3'. The hyperlinks still go to the correct page '3', '5' and
'8'. I've looked at the styles and they are good and I've deleted the TOC

and
made a new one. Same issue and only when I attach it to an e-mail in

Outlook.
I'm using Word 2003.

Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Randy Randy is offline

Suzanne: I have been trying to figure this out for far too long. Thanks for
your post. Extremely helpful. Does the same problem occur in Word 2007?

Randy

"mpurewal" wrote in message
The table of contents in my word document keeps repeating the page

numbers.
When I update the table the page numbers get corrected and saving it and
opening it again doesn't cause an issue; the page numbers remain '3', '5',
and '8'.

However when I attach the document in Outlook as an attachement all the

page
numbers say '3'. The hyperlinks still go to the correct page '3', '5' and
'8'. I've looked at the styles and they are good and I've deleted the TOC

and
made a new one. Same issue and only when I attach it to an e-mail in

Outlook.
I'm using Word 2003.

Please advise. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Yes, except that there the view is called Full Screen Reading view instead
of Reading Layout view (which is further confusing because Full Screen
Reading view is NOT the same thing as Full Screen).

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a known problem when recipients of an attachment open it in
Reading
Layout view. There is nothing you can do from your end except make
suggestions:

1. You can suggest that recipients disable Reading Layout view (Tools |
Options | General). Some of them may thank you for information on how to
do
this.

2. You can suggest that recipients save the attachment to the hard drive
before opening instead of opening it directly (Reading Layout view is
triggered only by opening an attachment directly).

3. You can suggest that recipients switch from Reading Layout view to
Print
Layout view and update the TOC (F9).

so
all may benefit.