Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Larry Sulky Larry Sulky is offline

Default Table clobbers some styles

WinWord 2003 SP3; Win 2003

I have a table in a document. I don't know what version of word was
used to create the document, bu the document is in my hands now. The
table has text styled in a handful of paragraph styles. But some of
them don't look right: style XX looks fine inside and outside the
table; style YY looks okay only outside the table -- inside, it is
centered and in Courier New.

I create two paragraphs outside the table, styled XX and YY. I copy
and paste a paragraph of style XX into the table, and all is well, as
expected -- it fits and reflows and does whatever it ought to do to
sit inside the table. I copy and paste the paragraph of style YY, and
it appears as usual in the table FOR A MOMENT, then changes to Courier
New, centered. It's quite startling to watch it happen. I copy that
paragraph from inside the table to a position in the document outside
of the table, and it regains its sense of style and looks as it
should.

I cannot see any significant difference between XX and YY -- yes, they
do look a little different, but there's nothing weird going on with
their definitions that I can tell (and I work in-depth with styles all
the bloody time).

Here's some more fun. I create another table within the document and
make it look just like the original, even copying the text from the
original table into my new one. My new table does not show the same
weird behaviour; styles XX and YY behave normally inside and out.

To sum up: the table that someone created in some version of word
"masks" the styles of some paragraph styles; the table that I created
in Word 2003 does not.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there anything I can do other
than rebuild each table in the incoming document?

TIA---
---larry