cmmc cmmc is offline
Junior Member

Question endnotes in tables

I am working on a paper that has endnotes in the table which are numbered continuously with the rest of the text. My problem is that while the table is ordered in columns, Word is numbering its endnotes going straight across top to bottom. Is there a way to get the numbering to follow the columns and still keep the endnotes in order with the rest?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default endnotes in tables

Endnotes are not appropriate for a table. In fact, a table should not even
have footnotes numbered continuously with the rest of the text. Notes to a
table are properly placed at the end of the table, or at the bottom of a
page of the table. To this end, it is usually more satisfactory to create
the footnote references manually (using superscript letters for tables
containing mostly numbers, otherwise the *, † ,‡ ,¶, § series) and place the
notes manually. I usually put the notes in the (unbordered and merged)
bottom row of the table.

http://word.mvps.org

--
cmmc

cmmc cmmc is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
Endnotes are not appropriate for a table. In fact, a table should not even have footnotes numbered continuously with the rest of the text. Notes to a table are properly placed at the end of the table, or at the bottom of a page of the table.
I am translating a pre-existing text and need to follow its format which is as I described above. Is there any solution?