Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina Tina is offline

Default word vs works

Hello,

Question for you please. i bought a new laptop and it had installed on it
Works. I downloaded Microsoft Office 2007 Home/Student version. Here's the
problem...I received an email that had a word document attachment and when I
clicked on it, it automatically opened up Works and the works would not open
it. Is there something I have to do to make Office the default?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina Tina is offline

Thank you for the website that you passed along, however, I did what it said
to do and tried to open the same .doc and it went directly to Works. I'm
ready to uninstall Works (ha)...

"Tina" wrote:

Hello,

Question for you please. i bought a new laptop and it had installed on it
Works. I downloaded Microsoft Office 2007 Home/Student version. Here's the
problem...I received an email that had a word document attachment and when I
clicked on it, it automatically opened up Works and the works would not open
it. Is there something I have to do to make Office the default?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If that hasn't fixed it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click
and choose Open with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to
always open with this application.

Check the file association for the doc format eg in Windows XP Windows
Explorer Tools Folder Options File Types and ensure that winword.exe
from Office 12 ie "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE"
/n /dde is the application associated with the Open action. (The DDE message
would be [REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")] and the Use DDE checkbox should
be checked.

There should be no reason to uninstall Works - I have Works and Word 2003
installed alongside Word 2007 and the correct applications open the intended
files.

"Tina" wrote:

Hello,

Question for you please. i bought a new laptop and it had installed
on it Works. I downloaded Microsoft Office 2007 Home/Student
version. Here's the problem...I received an email that had a word
document attachment and when I clicked on it, it automatically
opened up Works and the works would not open it. Is there something
I have to do to make Office the default?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina Tina is offline

Thank you for the reply. I think I'm a little confused on what Windows
Explorer is and how to find a document to open. The file I try to open has
the extension of .docx not sure what the "x" is but it's office 2007.
when i go into program files, office12 and winword, i'm not sure what to do
when i find that.

thanks again.

Tina

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If that hasn't fixed it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click
and choose Open with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to

"Tina" wrote:

Hello,

Question for you please. i bought a new laptop and it had installed
on it Works. I downloaded Microsoft Office 2007 Home/Student
version. Here's the problem...I received an email that had a word
document attachment and when I clicked on it, it automatically
opened up Works and the works would not open it. Is there something
I have to do to make Office the default?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Windows Explorer is another name for My Computer or (in Vista) Computer, but
if you just click on My Document or (in Vista) Documents, you should find
your file. The .docx extension indicates a Word 2007 document.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If that hasn't fixed it select a document in Windows Explorer, right
click
and choose Open with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to

Word/Works cpaine Microsoft Word Help 0 May 23rd 08 04:51 AM
Can Office 2003 retrieve works documents older than works ver 6? onlyme Microsoft Word Help 1 November 20th 05 06:14 AM
Availability of Works Database and Works Spreadsheet in Word form Ken Microsoft Word Help 0 November 4th 05 04:19 PM
Word/Works oe New Users 3 September 11th 05 07:27 PM
word in works 8 and works 4.5a TomInNaples Microsoft Word Help 2 July 17th 05 06:07 AM