Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Student Student is offline

Default How do I unsplit a table without deleting a para mark?

When a table has misaligned column borders, I generally split the table,
align the column borders, then delete the paragraph mark between the split
rows. This generally works. I have two recent cases where it does not: 1)A
Word 2007 docx that I have saved as a Word 2003 doc and 2)An RTF document
edited in Word 2003. In neither case can I delete the paragraph mark. It
seems that the only way to reconstitute the table is to convert it to text
and back again (UGH!). There has to be a better way?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Is Track Changes turned on? If that is the case, you cannot delete the
paragraph mark that splits the tables.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Student" wrote:

When a table has misaligned column borders, I generally split the table,
align the column borders, then delete the paragraph mark between the split
rows. This generally works. I have two recent cases where it does not: 1)A
Word 2007 docx that I have saved as a Word 2003 doc and 2)An RTF document
edited in Word 2003. In neither case can I delete the paragraph mark. It
seems that the only way to reconstitute the table is to convert it to text
and back again (UGH!). There has to be a better way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
afdmello afdmello is offline

I faced the same situation. I turned on the paragraph indicator(pilcrow
sign) and then selected the paragraph mark and hit the delet key and Eureka.

HTH
Afd
"Student" wrote in message
When a table has misaligned column borders, I generally split the table,
align the column borders, then delete the paragraph mark between the split
rows. This generally works. I have two recent cases where it does not:
1)A
Word 2007 docx that I have saved as a Word 2003 doc and 2)An RTF document
edited in Word 2003. In neither case can I delete the paragraph mark. It
seems that the only way to reconstitute the table is to convert it to text
and back again (UGH!). There has to be a better way?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Even if it is much easier to see what you do when formatiing marks are
visible, the paragraph mark does not need to be visible in order to be
selected and deleted. If you cannot delete it, track changes can be the
reason.

unsplit a table? V Microsoft Word Help 1 April 11th 08 08:13 AM
Table--how do I unsplit a cell MZB New Users 2 October 31st 07 09:54 PM
Mark after para Jane Fraser Microsoft Word Help 2 February 28th 06 05:30 PM
replace section mark with para sign Aglaz Microsoft Word Help 2 November 18th 05 04:46 AM
Word 97: Unsplit a table. rjd Tables 1 October 25th 04 09:33 PM