Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jen Jen is offline

Default Can only numbers be aligned (column)even if parentheses are used?

I have columns of numbers in a table that I need to align. However, some of
these numbers have parentheses around them and I only want to align the
digits. Is this possible to do without having to manually space each cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Have you tried setting a decimal tab in the column?

jen wrote:

I have columns of numbers in a table that I need to align. However, some of
these numbers have parentheses around them and I only want to align the
digits. Is this possible to do without having to manually space each cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jen Jen is offline

Default Can only numbers be aligned (column)even if parentheses are us

I have and it still doesn't seem to want to line up. The parentheses move
with the numbers. Thanks for your suggestion though.

jen wrote:

I have columns of numbers in a table that I need to align. However, some of
these numbers have parentheses around them and I only want to align the
digits. Is this possible to do without having to manually space each cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I tried my suggestion before posting it, and in my experience,
the numbers right-align on the unitary digit. Not sure what you
mean by "the parentheses move with the numbers"... I would think
that to be desirable, because otherwise you might end up with
parentheses in the middle of a number.

jen wrote:

I have columns of numbers in a table that I need to align. However, some of
these numbers have parentheses around them and I only want to align the
digits. Is this possible to do without having to manually space each cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Use a decimal tab stop. The numbers will be aligned on the decimal point or
where one would be if there were one--in other words, on the first
nonnumeric character aside from the thousands separator. This allows letters
and punctuation marks to the right of numbers to "hang" out. In a table, a
tab character is not required; just set the tab stop in left-aligned text,
and it will snap to the decimal tab stop automatically. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm

http://word.mvps.org