Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
michael b michael b is offline

Default How do I skip a cell when tabbing between fields?

Hi,

Trying to create a form where staff can enter info into fields, but when you
are tabbing through the document it tabs into the cells that are just headers
and don't have a field to type into.
I want to skip those cells and my tab to go to the next field.

I hope that makes sense?
thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The usual procedure is to create a template that contains the form, then
protect it for forms entry, and create new documents based on that form
template. Once a form has been protected for forms entry, when you tab, it
will only land in places where entry (a form field) is permitted.

Short answer... protect for forms entry (method varies by version... In Word
2003 and earlier, Tools - Protect; in Word 2007, Developer - Protect
Document - Restrict Formatting and Editing.

Long answer... go the template route, and protect it once you've finished
designing it.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"michael b" wrote in message
Hi,

Trying to create a form where staff can enter info into fields, but when
you
are tabbing through the document it tabs into the cells that are just
headers
and don't have a field to type into.
I want to skip those cells and my tab to go to the next field.

I hope that makes sense?
thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Glad to help.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"michael b" wrote in message
YOU ARE A BRILLIANT MAN !!!!!!

Tabbing between fields vhayden Tables 1 January 11th 08 07:10 PM
Tabbing through Fields Susan Tables 1 March 10th 06 09:40 PM
A way to auto-skip headings in a table, without tabbing through? PrairieLady Tables 1 November 14th 05 05:56 PM
How to skip cell(s) in table while using tab? Nguyen Nguyen Tables 4 June 27th 05 10:49 PM
Tabbing between text fields CC Page Layout 1 December 27th 04 02:12 PM