Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick D. Clements Nick D. Clements is offline

Default Have the 'Word Count' in the statusbar display the 'Character Coun

Is there anyway to set the 'Word Count' in the statusbar of Word 2007 to
display the 'Character Count' instead. I know you can get it by simply
clicking the word count "button" and it will give you all the word count
statistics, but it would be much more beneficial to me to have it just show
the Character Count.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patty Jones[_2_] Patty Jones[_2_] is offline

To improve access to the character counts (by default, Review tab, Proofing
group, Word count), add the Word Count command to the Quick Access Toolbar

Office Button, Office menu, Word Options, Word Options dialog box,
Customize, under Choose commands from, select Review tab, scroll down the
list and select Word count, Add, OK

"Nick D. Clements" wrote:

Is there anyway to set the 'Word Count' in the statusbar of Word 2007 to
display the 'Character Count' instead. I know you can get it by simply
clicking the word count "button" and it will give you all the word count
statistics, but it would be much more beneficial to me to have it just show
the Character Count.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How does having it on the QAT make it any more accessible than having it on
the status bar?

http://word.mvps.org

"Nick D. Clements" wrote:

Is there anyway to set the 'Word Count' in the statusbar of Word 2007 to
display the 'Character Count' instead. I know you can get it by simply
clicking the word count "button" and it will give you all the word count
statistics, but it would be much more beneficial to me to have it just
show
the Character Count.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick[_3_] Nick[_3_] is offline

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Nick D. Clements" wrote:

Is there anyway to set the 'Word Count' in the statusbar of Word 2007 to
display the 'Character Count' instead. I know you can get it by simply
clicking the word count "button" and it will give you all the word count
statistics, but it would be much more beneficial to me to have it just
show
the Character Count.

i do not know. it doesn't really, as it's a smaller button. true it is
more accessible than going to the review tab, but that was not the
question... however that was almost the identical answer that someone
posted in a different form for basically the same question...

i really don't know how to ask it much clearer... in word 2007, on the
status bar, to the very left it says 'Page: 1 of 1' next to that it
says 'Words: 0' - type a word, it changes to 'Words: 1', type another
word it changes to 'Words: 2' - i would like to know if there is a
way to make it say 'Characters: 0', 'Characters: 121', etc. my
assumption is NO, but i do not know for sure.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, but if you click on that area of the status bar, you can get the
character count.

http://word.mvps.org

"Nick D. Clements" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike[_16_] Mike[_16_] is offline

Bah, that's unfortunate. I would like the exact same thing: display
character count in status bar (or anywhere else in Word) without
having to click on a button and without requiring a dialogue box to
pop up every time you want the character count and then you have to
close it...ie. a "real-time" character count, just like word count
works in the status bar.