Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Evan Evan is offline

Default TOC

I am trying to add a TOC to my newsletter consisting of a table with 2
columns: TOC in left and headings and paragraphs in continuous text boxes in
the right column. Insert Reference index & tables TOC OK gives me a
grey field: Error! No table of contents entries found. Any idea what I'm
do9ing wrong?

thanks for your help
evan wilder
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The default Table of Contents is built from the text in the paragraphs in
the document to which the styles Heading 1, Heading 2 and Heading 3 are
applied. You will get the error that you mention, if there are no
paragraphs in the document to which those styles are applied.

You can however also construction a table of contents by the use of TC
fields, which is what you will need to do if you are not using the Heading
styles.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Evan" wrote in message
I am trying to add a TOC to my newsletter consisting of a table with 2
columns: TOC in left and headings and paragraphs in continuous text boxes
in
the right column. Insert Reference index & tables TOC OK gives me
grey field: Error! No table of contents entries found. Any idea what
I'm
do9ing wrong?

thanks for your help
evan wilder

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can also build a TOC based on any styles that you have consistently used
for headings. But if this is Word 2003 or earlier, the TOC will not pick up
headings in text boxes.

http://word.mvps.org

news
The default Table of Contents is built from the text in the paragraphs in
the document to which the styles Heading 1, Heading 2 and Heading 3 are
applied. You will get the error that you mention, if there are no
paragraphs in the document to which those styles are applied.

You can however also construction a table of contents by the use of TC
fields, which is what you will need to do if you are not using the Heading
styles.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on
a paid professional basis.