Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Default over score over a letter

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First type ` and then type the letter; the result will be: è.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message
news
how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First type ` and then type the letter; the result will be: è.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message
news
how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But note that that is an accent, not an overscore.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
First type ` and then type the letter; the result will be: è.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message
news
how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But note that that is an accent, not an overscore.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
First type ` and then type the letter; the result will be: è.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message
news
how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point. I actually didn't even pay attention to the subject line.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But note that that is an accent, not an overscore.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
First type ` and then type the letter; the result will be: è.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message
news
how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point. I actually didn't even pay attention to the subject line.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But note that that is an accent, not an overscore.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
First type ` and then type the letter; the result will be: è.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message
news
how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, based on the subject line, I was prepared to give a reference to
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm (if you hadn't already done
so), but then I saw the message body.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Good point. I actually didn't even pay attention to the subject line.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But note that that is an accent, not an overscore.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
First type ` and then type the letter; the result will be: è.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message
news how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef
Jardinie`re

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

? Is that on a French keyboard? On "English (US)," it's Ctrl-`, e
(same for each vowel with grave accent, cap or l.c.).

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just wrote ` because the actual keystrokes required are different
depending on your keyboard layout. On my Swedish keyboard, I will have to
type Shift+´ to accomplish `.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef
Jardinie`re-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But for Stefan, it's not international, it's native! :-)

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef
Jardinie`re--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, they are not. There is no ´ (acute accent) key per se; the ' key is used
for apostrophes/single quotes and (when shifted) double quotes, and it is
part of the setup key for letters with an acute accent. The ` key, when
shifted, gives ~. It's actually rather a mystery why this key is present at
all. I do use a tilde (so-called, though it's too low to be an accent over a
letter) instead of an en dash or round bullet sometimes to separate items in
display text, and of course it's used in URLs, but I see no practical use of
the ` at all except as part of the setup key for letters with a grave
accent.

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef
Jardinie`re-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Why should there be? The vast majority of English-users never have
occasion to use an accent; there were never accents on US typewriters.

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef
Jardinie`re--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian Rastall Ian Rastall is offline

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:16:04 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I see no practical use of the ` at all

It's a left-single quote, which can be used for that purpose in any
software that recognizes it as such. TeX is one application that uses
it.

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is *not* a left single quote in Word (which is what this NG is about); it
is a grave accent [U0060]. It can be used in the shortcut Ctrl+`, ` to
insert a left single quote if Word's AutoFormat As You Type doesn't do so
correctly, but it does not insert the left single quote character [U2018].

It is also an unwarranted intrusion in many contexts. I was frustrated for
years with one Web site to which I posted regularly that converted the '
character [U0027] to `, making, for example, "don't" appear as "don`t"--very
disconcerting.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

I see no practical use of the ` at all

It's a left-single quote, which can be used for that purpose in any
software that recognizes it as such. TeX is one application that uses
it.

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Peter T. Daniels typed:

wrote:
First type ` and then type the letter; the result will be:
è.

But that's not an overscore, which is what the OP aksed. Unfortunately there
is no overscore on many keyboards so to use the keyboard, the language first
has to be worked out. It's like no one can READ these days.

Twayne

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in
Beef Jardinie`re-

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Peter T. Daniels typed:

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in
Beef Jardinie`re-

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Stefan Blom typed:
I just wrote ` because the actual keystrokes required are
different depending on your keyboard layout. On my Swedish
keyboard, I will have to type Shift+´ to accomplish `.

And how would you do an overscore?

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in
Beef Jardinie`re-

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:
But that's still an international keyboard layout. With the
standard US/UK layout, we have to use the built-in keyboard
shortcut: Ctrl+`, e.

"Stefan Blom" wrote
in message ...

wrote:
First type ` and then type the letter; the result will
be: è.

No, not for an overscore.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in
Beef Jardinie`re-

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in
Beef Jardinie`re-

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:
It is *not* a left single quote in Word (which is what this
NG is about); it is a grave accent [U0060]. It can be used
in the shortcut Ctrl+`, ` to insert a left single quote if
Word's AutoFormat As You Type doesn't do so correctly, but
it does not insert the left single quote character [U2018].

And it's NOT what the OP asked for either! HOW do you do the overscore?
Jeez, talk about ignoring the OP!

Twayne

wrote:

I see no practical use of the ` at all

It's a left-single quote, which can be used for that
purpose in any software that recognizes it as such. TeX is
one application that uses it.

Ian

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:

wrote:

I see no practical use of the ` at all

It's a left-single quote, which can be used for that
purpose in any software that recognizes it as such. TeX is
one application that uses it.

Ian

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you actually read the original post? Although the subject line says
"over score," the actual message says:

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

From this it is clear that what the OP is looking for is an e with a grave
accent (regardless of what he calls it). I did refer to the
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm article in another post, but
that is NOT what the OP was asking for.

http://word.mvps.org

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:

wrote:

I see no practical use of the ` at all

It's a left-single quote, which can be used for that
purpose in any software that recognizes it as such. TeX is
one application that uses it.

Ian

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you actually read the original post? Although the subject line says
"over score," the actual message says:

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in Beef Jardinie`re

From this it is clear that what the OP is looking for is an e with a grave
accent (regardless of what he calls it). I did refer to the
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm article in another post, but
that is NOT what the OP was asking for.

http://word.mvps.org

"Twayne" wrote in message
In ,
Suzanne S. Barnhill typed:

wrote:

I see no practical use of the ` at all

It's a left-single quote, which can be used for that
purpose in any software that recognizes it as such. TeX is
one application that uses it.

Ian

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Looking at the order in which you posted your four messages in this
thread, it's clear that you didn't read the messages you replied to.

On Mar 7, 5:02*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
,
Peter T. Daniels typed:

.

"deb" wrote in message

news

how do i put ` mark over top of the letter e such as in
Beef Jardinie`re-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Looking at the order in which you posted your four messages in this
thread, it's clear that you didn't read the messages you replied to.

On Mar 7, 5:02*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
,
Peter T. Daniels typed: