Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default is this a malware?

Yesterday afternoon, my desktop turned black with the icons on top,
and a popup appeared at the lower right telling me to Activate
Windows. Word continued to behave normally.

After I finished working on my document, I tried restarting to restore
the desktop and after entering my password I got a message that the
Product Key I typed wasn't valid, and I could (1) purchase a new one
on line, (2) enter a new one, or (3) ask Dell for help and support.
(The computer is an IBM.)

I haven't typed a Product Key since last year some time.

(1) and (2) do nothing; (3) opens a Windows Help screen with the
heading "Get customer support or help," and clicking the bottom option
opens IE, from which I can simply select Mail from the toolbar and
access my email, and I can proceed normally, creating new web page
tabs, etc.

The desktop remains otherwise completely black -- no status bar, no
Start button, no sidebar (with clock, calendar page, etc.).At the
lower right in white is the message "Windows Vista (TM) / Build 6601 /
This copy of Windows is not genuine"

If I Open a Word attachment from email, Word opens normally, and I can
save the file normally, and edit it normally. Everything I've done so
far has worked -- the only indication that something is wrong is that
the Word Count button in the Status Bar is grayed out.

I only can't do anything involving the Windows interface -- switch
IMEs, open a program, install fonts.

Oh, and it shuts down (restarts) after about an hour, and I have to go
through those same steps again to work in Word.

I'm scared of turning off the computer, for fear of what might (or
might not) happen when I turn it on.

I've been using Vista for a year, with plenty of automatic updates, so
I doubt this is a legitimate MS phenomenon.

I can't find my distribution disk (still). I have the WinRE disk
downloaded for me the other day. (Can that have been the source of the
problem? Is the Product Key accessible by BOOTMGR? Why would it have
waited a week to show up?)

My chosen Windows screen saver kicks in at the appropriate time and
seems to continue to function even after the restart (so that when I
look at the screen, the box for typing the password is what I see.)

If a cure is available by downloading and clicking Run, presumably I
can do it. If I would have to save something and then start it, I
don't think that's possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

This is nothing to do with Word, and you would be better asking in a Windows
newsgroup. However, I believe there are some Windows Updates that can cause
problems of this nature in some situations.

If you do have a genuine copy of Windows, there is a Microsoft Genuine
Advantage diagnostic tool available from
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. If you run it and post the
results in the Vista Validation Issues forum
(http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...evista/threads) you may be
able to get some help.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you. I find it interesting -- and a clue -- that the Word Count
item in the Status Bar is grayed out and inoperative..

On Sep 10, 7:46*pm, "Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com
wrote:
[...]

Kakashi-1 Kakashi-1 is offline
Junior Member

Hello! I would advise you to read beforehand about how to get rid of the most dangerous malware and ransomware attacks. The web is full of information on the subject, but if you don't want to read anything and want effective protection, try enterprise ransomware protection software. It helped my company.