Prida

Default Where does Signature Company come from?-

Here's something that's driving me crazy. My PC was purchased from Dell.
I installed Word XP after purchase. The signature company in Word's
autotext entries is listed as Dell Computer.

My question: where does Word pull that signature company from? I didn't
enter it when I installed the software, and it is not coming from Tools
| Options | User Information.

I know how to change the signature company autotext entry, it just bugs
me that I don't know where it comes from.

Any insights? Thanks in advance.

---

You don't say what version of Word you have, but see

“OFF2000: How to Change Company Name and User Name After Setup”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=233499

“HOW TO: Change the Company Name and User Name in an Office XP Program”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290528

"How to change the company name and user name in Office 2003"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=821550

"Prida " wrote in message
Here's something that's driving me crazy. My PC was purchased from Dell.
I installed Word XP after purchase. The signature company in Word's
autotext entries is listed as Dell Computer.

My question: where does Word pull that signature company from? I didn't
enter it when I installed the software, and it is not coming from Tools
| Options | User Information.

I know how to change the signature company autotext entry, it just bugs
me that I don't know where it comes from.

Any insights? Thanks in advance.

---

Amedee Van Gasse

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

You don't say what version of Word you have, but see

“OFF2000: How to Change Company Name and User Name After Setup”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=233499

Suzanne,

I'm sorry but KB233499 does NOT work for Office 2000.
I know because I have tried (and failed).

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.16.5.2
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

tweedepoging

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Did you report that "The information is wrong" in the feedback form
on that page?

Of course I did.
So what?
Meanwhile I still have to reinstall Office from scratch on about 50
boxes, because that's the only way that seems to work. I don't think
Microsoft will compensate me for the lost time.

tweedepoging

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

AFAIK, you're the only user who's ever reported that it didn't work.

Yes well that's me and all my co-workers, that's a few tens of people.

So what now? Spam the Microsoft feedback page until they give me a
decent reply, which is when hell freezes over? Or learn to live with
this cretinous proprietary ad-hockery and reinstall from scratch
If reinstall is needed, we might as well change to OpenOffice
(http://www.openoffice.org) as this appears to be completely compatible
for our purposes. And it's free (as in speech).

*sigh* all software sucks, but some suck more than others...
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Tweedepoging,

Meanwhile I still have to reinstall Office from scratch on about 50
boxes, because that's the only way that seems to work. I don't think
Microsoft will compensate me for the lost time.

Before you do, I suggest you post in the office.setup (with a
cross-post to word.setup.networking) to see if the pro's there can't
give you some tips on how to streamline the task...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org