Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
experimentalist experimentalist is offline

Default how to create overlapping text

Is it possible to create overlapping text in Word 2003? If so, how?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how to create overlapping text

Yes, it is possible to create overlapping text in Word 2003. Here are the steps to do it:
  1. Open a new or existing Word document.
  2. Type the text that you want to overlap.
  3. Highlight the text by clicking and dragging your mouse over it.
  4. Right-click on the highlighted text and select "Font" from the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Font" dialog box, click on the "Character Spacing" tab.
  6. Under "Spacing," select "Condensed" from the drop-down menu.
  7. Adjust the percentage in the "By" field to your desired amount of overlap. The higher the percentage, the more overlap you will have.
  8. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

You should now see your text overlapping. You can adjust the font size and spacing to fine-tune the overlap effect. Keep in mind that this technique may not work well with all fonts and font sizes.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes. There are a variety of ways, depending on exactly what effect you're
trying for.

One way, for example, is to use a floating text box, and to set its
transparency to 100%.

Another way -- on a smaller scale -- is to use certain Word fields, such as
the Advance field, which can be used to overstrike, overlap, and otherwise
manipulate characters in close proximity.

If you can describe what you're trying to do, then perhaps we can point you
in the best direction.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"experimentalist" wrote in
message ...
Is it possible to create overlapping text in Word 2003? If so, how?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
experimentalist experimentalist is offline

I am writing a work of experimental ficiton. I want to convey the impression
of two characters talking over each other, although saying the same thing.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If I'm understanding you correctly, then a transparent textbox will probably
do what you want (after inserting the textbox, right-click it and choose
Format - Textbox; in colors and lines, set transparency to 100 and turn off
the border, if you like; in layout, choose In front of text wrapping).

I'm having a hard time picturing it... good luck! Post back if you run into
problems with the textbox or if it doesn't quite do what you want.