Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
KevinB KevinB is offline

Default Setup 2 col page for 2 projects to run side by side over 9 pages?

How do I setup a Word Page Layout, Setup 2 col page for 2 projects to run
side by side over 9 or more pages?

I know how to set up 2 columns per page, that is easy.
My challenge is this:-
I have 2 different documents I want to run side by side over more than 1
page. i.e. Say 2 columns are named "A" & "B" for each page... starting on
page 1 I want to copy a document to column A... when it gets to the bottom of
column A I want it to continue on on column A on page 2 and so on. I want to
do the same with a different document in column B on pages 1, 2 and so on.
Column "A" material is always in column A and column B material is always in
column B regardless of the page number.
How do you, or can you set the 2 columns up as if they were 2 different
pages running side by side?
Seems tricky, but believe Word with all its features is able to do this.
Can anyone help?
Thank you
KevinB
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You could insert your data in 2-column tables instead of ordinary columns.

If you create only a single table with 2 columns and 1 row and insert all
data in that table, the row can continue from page to page, still keeping
left- and right-column data separated. If the row stops at the bottom of the
first page even if you insert more data, select Table Table Properties
Row tab and turn on the "Allow row to break across pages" check button.

If you need information about working with tables, see the articles at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...ableBasics.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"KevinB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
KevinB KevinB is offline

Default Setup 2 col page for 2 projects to run side by side over 9 pag

This could work if this format was suitable for publishing from, or
converting to print ready PDF? I want to set this up in the correct format
(or a format that will convert) from the start as there will be many pages
involved.
Thanks
KevinB

"KevinB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I don't know which specific publishing requirements you have in mind. Word
tables can be converted to PDF.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"KevinB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
KevinB KevinB is offline

If using Tables is the only way to do this in Word I will do it that way.

The question still remains:- Can this be done using Columns? Does Columns
have a feature like Tables where you can use the "Allow row to break across
pages" or "Allow column to break across pages" facility?

I have Word 2007.

Thanks
KevinB

"KevinB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

There is no workable way to do what you want using columns. You would have to
insert column breaks and insert the data in fragments (i.e. data from
document A that fits in column 1 on page 1, column break, data from document
B that fits in column 2 on page 1, column break, data from document A that
fits in column 1 on page 2, etc.).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"KevinB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
KevinB KevinB is offline

Thank you Lene...

Looks like I am stuck with using Tables...
Sure would be nice if this feature were available in Word
I am sure I am not the first nor the last that this feature would be useful
for!

Many thanks
Kevin