Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Mears Lisa Mears is offline

Default Inserting a Cover Page - Word 2007

I have inserted a cover page into my document in Word 2007, but whenever I
key text into the placeholders for [Type Author Name] and [Type the Company
Name], my own text disappears each time I attempt to save the cover page.
The location placeholders change back to the default text. How can I keep the
placeholders from restoring the default text?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jonw jonw is offline

Can't fathom why it's happening but to prevent it from happening, open the
document, reenter the text you want to replace the placeholder text, right
click each place you've entered that key text and click Remove Content
Control.

"Lisa Mears" wrote:

I have inserted a cover page into my document in Word 2007, but whenever I
key text into the placeholders for [Type Author Name] and [Type the Company
Name], my own text disappears each time I attempt to save the cover page.
The location placeholders change back to the default text. How can I keep the
placeholders from restoring the default text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Did you use the Document Inspector on the document or are you using a
template from the Template Gallery? In either case, there's a
security/privacy option causing this issue. The controls you are using for
Title, Author, etc are bound to the document properties. Word has a security
option that will remove content from the file properties when you save the
document so that's why it continues to disappear.

To turn the option off:

- Click the Office Button
- Click Word Options
- In the Trust Center section, click Trust Center Settings
- Under Privacy Options, deselect "Remove personal information from file
properties on save".

Also, if using a template from the template gallery can you tell me which
one you used? I've reported several templates that exhibit this behavior and
want to make sure I didn't overlook any. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Lisa Mears" wrote in message
I have inserted a cover page into my document in Word 2007, but whenever I
key text into the placeholders for [Type Author Name] and [Type the
Company
Name], my own text disappears each time I attempt to save the cover page.
The location placeholders change back to the default text. How can I keep
the
placeholders from restoring the default text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

While it may have worked, removing the Content Control isn't the necessarily
best solution. It might be, but by using the bound File Properties you have
greater flexibly in your document. For example if you want to include the
Title in the header, footer, on another page, etc, all you need to to is on
the Insert tab, click Quick Parts, and insert the desired file property from
Document Properties. Then to change the Title all you need to to is change
it once in any of the content controls and it will automatically update
throughout the document, and in the File Properties.

Please see my reply in this thread for the reason why you encountered this
issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lisa Mears" wrote:

I have inserted a cover page into my document in Word 2007, but
whenever I
key text into the placeholders for [Type Author Name] and [Type the
Company
Name], my own text disappears each time I attempt to save the cover
page.
The location placeholders change back to the default text. How can I
keep the
placeholders from restoring the default text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KCJones KCJones is offline

I, too, have had many students who have this same difficulty--thank you for
the suggestion. It seems there would be a better fix, than to delete the
Content Control--but whatever it takes!

K Johnston

"Lisa Mears" wrote:

I have inserted a cover page into my document in Word 2007, but whenever I
key text into the placeholders for [Type Author Name] and [Type the Company
Name], my own text disappears each time I attempt to save the cover page.
The location placeholders change back to the default text. How can I keep the
placeholders from restoring the default text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ted M H Ted M H is offline

Hi,

I have this exact same problem--saving my docx causes the author and title
controls to be cleared. I want to make this work the right way rather than
deleting the controls. It sounds like there's a solution from Beth Melton,
but it apparently has been removed from this thread.

BTW: GREAT book, Word 2007 Inside Out.

Thanks.

"Lisa Mears" wrote:

I have inserted a cover page into my document in Word 2007, but
whenever I
key text into the placeholders for [Type Author Name] and [Type the
Company
Name], my own text disappears each time I attempt to save the cover
page.
The location placeholders change back to the default text. How can I
keep the
placeholders from restoring the default text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can get the full thread from Google Groups
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...ote+in+message