Stacy

Default protected documents

We just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. We have discovered that
there appears to be a problem with protected documents. We can unprotect the
documents but now the option to protected them again is greyed out. This is
only an issue with documents that were protected under Office 97. Any new
documents word just fine.
CyberTaz

Hi Stacy-

Not sure why it's dimmed, but try this...

Open one of the old docs . Use Save As with a slightly different name & go
to the Save as Type list at the bottom... make sure Word document is
selected. Then see if the Protect Doument command is active in the new copy.

HTH |:)

"Stacy" wrote:

We just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. We have discovered that
there appears to be a problem with protected documents. We can unprotect the
documents but now the option to protected them again is greyed out. This is
only an issue with documents that were protected under Office 97. Any new
documents word just fine.

Stacy

I already tried that. These documents have macros imbedded in that and I
dont know if that makes any difference. The only fix that I have been able
to come up with is for the ones without macros. If I unprotect the document,
copy the info and past it into a new document, then I am able to protect it.
I have not come up with a workaround for the ones with the Macros

"Stacy" wrote:

We just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. We have discovered that
there appears to be a problem with protected documents. We can unprotect the
documents but now the option to protected them again is greyed out. This is
only an issue with documents that were protected under Office 97. Any new
documents word just fine.

Charles Kenyon

If protected for forms (and it sounds as if that is the case) create a new
document. Use the Organizer to copy styles from the old document. Then use
Insert File to import the contents of the old document. You may have to
mess around with margins and other settings.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Stacy" wrote:

We just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. We have discovered
that
there appears to be a problem with protected documents. We can
unprotect the
documents but now the option to protected them again is greyed out.
This is
only an issue with documents that were protected under Office 97. Any
new
documents word just fine.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3RhY3k=?=,

These documents have macros imbedded in that and I
dont know if that makes any difference.

Check the macro security setting. It's probably "High", and
you need to have it at least on "Medium" to allow the
macros to run (and be able to unprotect the document)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)