Gus

Default why do i have two sets of footnotes?

I have a document in Word 2002 in which the footnotes (or endnotes, same
issue) are split into two sets, one numbered 1, 2, 3 etc... and the other
[1], [2], [3], etc. This was not done intentionally and there doesn't seem
to be any way to get the footnotes to follow a single number series. The
footnotes are thus numbered something like 1, 2, [1], 3, [2], [3], 4... etc.
and of course I just want 1,2,3,4.. etc. Help!
Daiya Mitchell

It takes some effort to get Word to produce notes numbered [1], so I can't
believe it wasn't done intentionally.

It is possible to use custom footnote marks alongside autonumbered footnote
numbers. Use Edit | Go To to check that everything you think is a footnote
is recognized as such by Word.

Is the [1] set atttached to a real footnote? That is, is there note text
existing for it?

Is is possible that one set is actually endnotes? Check in Print Layout
view to see where the note text shows up. You are allowed to have separate
series of footnotes and endnotes in the same doc.

Was this doc originally created in Word? Did you create it?

If they are real footnotes, I think your only option is to delete them
(after copying the text) and reinsert them so Word puts them back into the
regular number series.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Footnotes Carrie Microsoft Word Help 11 January 7th 09 03:21 PM
Multiple sets of page numbers Jerry Microsoft Word Help 6 February 22nd 07 09:11 AM
How do you view only footnotes and/or make a list of footnotes? Secretary short on time. Microsoft Word Help 2 December 28th 04 09:50 PM
footnotes with multiple sections dcn1396 Microsoft Word Help 3 December 20th 04 01:47 AM
Macro that will add the file path & date to Word footnotes? Rich P Microsoft Word Help 2 December 15th 04 07:49 PM