andrew

Default word file corrupt

Hi
I am using windows XP and word97. The problem is when
saving my file of 116000 words, the 1st 1/2 didnt save
properly.
I saved as a word document but it comes up like you open
a word document in wordpad eg half the file is replaced
by a few pages of unreadable characters. It has a .doc
ext as usual.
I didnt make any backups to my frustration.

Dont know what I can do?
TF

Make sure that in the File, Open dialog, the Files Of Type is set to Word
Docs (*.doc) and not 'Recover text from Any File'. If you opened it use the
Recover Text option and subsequently saved the document, you will have lost
all the formatting now. Remember that in versions of Word prior to WordXP,
the Files of Type setting is sticky and you need to manually change it back
to DOC types after using Recover Text or other settings.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"andrew" wrote in message
: Hi
: I am using windows XP and word97. The problem is when
: saving my file of 116000 words, the 1st 1/2 didnt save
: properly.
: I saved as a word document but it comes up like you open
: a word document in wordpad eg half the file is replaced
: by a few pages of unreadable characters. It has a .doc
: ext as usual.
: I didnt make any backups to my frustration.
:
: Dont know what I can do?

TF

I don't understand what you are telling me: please explain a little clearer.

Terry

"andrew" wrote in message
:I still seem to get the same readable text as before
: relevamt to the file.
:
:
: Make sure that in the File, Open dialog, the Files Of
: Type is set to Word
: Docs (*.doc) and not 'Recover text from Any File'. If
: you opened it use the
: Recover Text option and subsequently saved the document,
: you will have lost
: all the formatting now. Remember that in versions of
: Word prior to WordXP,
: the Files of Type setting is sticky and you need to
: manually change it back
: to DOC types after using Recover Text or other settings.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
:
: "andrew" wrote in
: message
: ...
: : Hi
: : I am using windows XP and word97. The problem is when
: : saving my file of 116000 words, the 1st 1/2 didnt save
: : properly.
: : I saved as a word document but it comes up like you
: open
: : a word document in wordpad eg half the file is replaced
: : by a few pages of unreadable characters. It has a .doc
: : ext as usual.
: : I didnt make any backups to my frustration.
: :
: : Dont know what I can do?
:
: