Andreas Schleifenbaum

Default Path of linked objects

Dear all,

in my word document (W2k, SP3), i linked several objects (EPS files). Some of them have a relative
link and some have a hard link.
eg:
*) document folder: D:\crap\document.doc
*) object folder: D:\crap\ob\obj1.eps, obj2.eps
The link box in word shows for example:
ob\obj1.eps
and
D:\crap\ob\obj2.eps

both files I linked the same way ... what can I do to get a relative link for ALL objects ??

Would be great if somebody could reveal this mystery of Word ...

thanks a lot,
andreas
Bill Le May

"Andreas Schleifenbaum" wrote...
both files I linked the same way ... what can I do to get a relative link
for ALL objects ??

You might solve it by setting a hyperlink base.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903163/

Daiya Mitchell

On 9/14/05 5:38 AM, "Bill Le May" wrote:

"Andreas Schleifenbaum" wrote...
both files I linked the same way ... what can I do to get a relative link
for ALL objects ??

You might solve it by setting a hyperlink base.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903163/

There have recently been reports here that a hyperlink base doesn't work,
but definitely give it a try.....in addition to the KB article, you might
find this excerpt from another article useful.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm....htm#FilePaths

Of course, Andreas, you can simply edit your existing links as well. I
think the difference in what Word creates has to do with the currently
active folder, which the link I gave will explain a bit, and recommends a
Help topic.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Bill Le May

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote...
There have recently been reports here that a hyperlink base doesn't work,
but definitely give it a try.....in addition to the KB article, you might
find this excerpt from another article useful.

Agreed - I have used a bogus hyperlink base in Excel to force *absolute*
hyperlinks in the past. Another hyperlinks bugaboo is mapped network
drives. Office seemed to prefer using the mapped drive to UNC paths, no
matter how you tried to dissuade it. There was a supposed registry tweak
for it, but it never worked for me. I never map drives, but some people in
our office do. I have managed to wean most of them off this practice.