Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Default Field Codes-Numbering question

How do I create an autonumber field code without a period at the end of the
number?

Also, how do I create the autonumber field code and have it start at a
different number other than the number 1 (i.e. 17)?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

That's if I'm using bullets and numbering, right?

I'm clicking on Insert, Fields, and using autoNum or ListNum. How do I get
rid of the period there, but more importantly how do I get it to start at a
different number? Maybe I can't?

Thanks.

"Kim" wrote in message
How do I create an autonumber field code without a period at the end of

the
number?

Also, how do I create the autonumber field code and have it start at a
different number other than the number 1 (i.e. 17)?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You said "autonumbering" not AutoNum fields. There is no way to format
AutoNum or ListNum fields.

Word's Help on the AutoNum field says:

"Numbers paragraphs sequentially. The AUTONUM field is provided for
compatibility with Microsoft Word 2000 or earlier versions.

"Note: It is recommended that you use the LISTNUM field instead of the
AUTONUM field when using Microsoft Word 2002 and later."

The ListNum field permits an \s switch used to specify the starting number;
see the Help topic "Field codes: ListNum field."

Unless you have specific reasons for avoiding autonumbering, you will find
it much more configurable; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

1. Delete the period from the "Number format" box in the Numbering

dialog.

2. Set the "Start at" number in the same dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.