Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
data reporting data reporting is offline

Default How do I remove all tabs from word document

I am trying to remove all the tabs from a word document. My problem is I
need to export the word document to a text file. However, when I export the
word document to a text file, the tabs all become blank spaces. My text
document needs to have certain data at specific locations, and these blank
spaces are offsetting my data. In the example below, I need both fields to
use 8 spaces, so that the lower case alpha characters start at column 9. I
cannot remove all blank spaces, because I sometimes there will be blank fill.
The alpha characters need to start at column 9 regardless if the size of the
numeric field. In both of the lines below, the alpha characters start at
column 9 (they just do not look that way).
12345 abc
12345678xyz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You would do better if you started with a monospaced font such as Courier
New, so that you can see how it will layout. Text does not support font
information.

data reporting wrote:
I am trying to remove all the tabs from a word document. My problem
is I need to export the word document to a text file. However, when
I export the word document to a text file, the tabs all become blank
spaces. My text document needs to have certain data at specific
locations, and these blank spaces are offsetting my data. In the
example below, I need both fields to use 8 spaces, so that the lower
case alpha characters start at column 9. I cannot remove all blank
spaces, because I sometimes there will be blank fill. The alpha
characters need to start at column 9 regardless if the size of the
numeric field. In both of the lines below, the alpha characters
start at column 9 (they just do not look that way). 12345 abc
12345678xyz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To answer the question you asked (even though it may not, as macropod
suggests, be the information you need), remove all tab characters using Edit
| Replace, searching for ^t and replacing with nothing (or with eight spaces
if that's the requirement).