Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
euonymous

Default make it possible to change (lighten) WORD highlighter colors

The issue is that I like to use the highlight feature, but the colors are
generally too dark to enable me to leave the highlighting in place and still
read the document. The pink, green and blue are too dark. I use
highlighting of different colors in client documents to quickly show me items
to discuss, problems, etc. In a paperless office, highlighter colors can be
very useful.

So, please, in some future release of Word, make it possible to change
(lighten) WORD highlighter colors.

Thanks.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

You could just click "More colors" and choose any color you want (you
can even create custom ones).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"euonymous" wrote in message
news
The issue is that I like to use the highlight feature, but the
colors are
generally too dark to enable me to leave the highlighting in place

and still
read the document. The pink, green and blue are too dark. I use
highlighting of different colors in client documents to quickly show

me items
to discuss, problems, etc. In a paperless office, highlighter

colors can be
very useful.

So, please, in some future release of Word, make it possible to

change
(lighten) WORD highlighter colors.

Thanks.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
euonymous

Stefan, that's what I'd like to do. The Word 2003 drop down menu for
highlighting has a "none" choice and several colors. There is no option in
my version of Word 2003 to "choose any color you want" or "create custom
ones"... Am I missing something?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

No, AFAIK you are not missing anything. The hightlight painter is
unfortunately fixed with the 15 rather odd and generally dark colors.
I think Stefan is referring to FormatBorders and Shading Shading.
Here you can create your custom colors until the cows come home and
apply it to a selection of text.

Not as handy as the painter, but works.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

You could choose you shading color and create a couple of macros to
easily apply and remove it from selected text:

Sub ApplyMyShade()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorLightTurquoise
End Sub

Sub RemoveMyShade()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorAutomatic
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Darn! I could have used this information on my last job. They have a color
laser printer and even the light highlight colors printed rather dark. I
just figured I'd have to accept that.

Thanks for the helpful info, Greg! :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
ups.com...
No, AFAIK you are not missing anything. The hightlight painter is
unfortunately fixed with the 15 rather odd and generally dark colors.
I think Stefan is referring to FormatBorders and Shading Shading.
Here you can create your custom colors until the cows come home and
apply it to a selection of text.

Not as handy as the painter, but works.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
euonymous

Greg, that is a great idea as a work around. Thanks. I'll make a macro to
do this. I've never been crazy about the way highligting works anyway. I've
always thought that double clicking should turn it on/off. You are
confirming my assumption that there's no way to change the highlighting
colors.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

No, AFAIK you are not missing anything. The hightlight painter is
unfortunately fixed with the 15 rather odd and generally dark colors.
I think Stefan is referring to FormatBorders and Shading Shading.
Here you can create your custom colors until the cows come home and
apply it to a selection of text.

Not as handy as the painter, but works.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

JoAnn,

See:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Highlighter.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

No, AFAIK you are not missing anything. The hightlight painter is
unfortunately fixed with the 15 rather odd and generally dark colors.
I think Stefan is referring to FormatBorders and Shading Shading.

Yes, you are right; I was thinking of shading rather than highlighting. I
should have stated this explicitly in my previous message.

Here you can create your custom colors until the cows come home and
apply it to a selection of text.

Not as handy as the painter, but works.

An advantage of shading is of course that it can be added to a character
style, which makes it easy to add and remove the formatting from text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryan Bryan is offline

Yes! We need more (good) highlight colors too. Shading won't work for us, as
we cannot mess with the actual style of the document.

Where can I go to submit an enhancement request to the Word team on this?

"euonymous" wrote:

The issue is that I like to use the highlight feature, but the colors are
generally too dark to enable me to leave the highlighting in place and still
read the document. The pink, green and blue are too dark. I use
highlighting of different colors in client documents to quickly show me items
to discuss, problems, etc. In a paperless office, highlighter colors can be
very useful.

So, please, in some future release of Word, make it possible to change
(lighten) WORD highlighter colors.

Thanks.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Highlighter.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

"euonymous" wrote:

The issue is that I like to use the highlight feature, but the
colors are generally too dark to enable me to leave the
highlighting in place and still read the document. The pink, green
and blue are too dark. I use highlighting of different colors in
client documents to quickly show me items to discuss, problems,
etc. In a paperless office, highlighter colors can be very useful.

So, please, in some future release of Word, make it possible to
change (lighten) WORD highlighter colors.

Thanks.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the
Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the
message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryan Bryan is offline

Suzanne/Greg --

Thanks for the replies. Yes, from your previous posts I've seen that you can
use character styles to simulate highlighting. However, we want to use true
highlighting for 2 reasons:

#1 -- We are programmatically injecting highlighting into an already
authored document. Thus, the original author could have used character level
formatting and we cannot blast over that (but still need to highlight the
text in a consistent fashion).

#2 -- Viewing highlighting can be turned off in the Word options menu. This
is great for us b/c some users will want it on/off depending on their
preference.

Thus our need for true native highlighting. It doesn't muck w/ any
styles/formatting that might be in the document, and it can easily be turned
off (w/ out having to programmatically navigate the entire doc for character
shading).

Any idea how to formally submit this enhancement request to the Word team?

Thanks!