Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Microsoft Newsserver Microsoft Newsserver is offline

Default Merging Multiple Records in One Document

Hi,

I'm trying to replicate something similar to an invoice in a Word document
via a mail merge. I'm selecting Directory as the document type and have a
datasource with several records of line items.

I would like to have some details appear only at the top (e.g. the person
who is receving the invoice and their address which are merge fields, along
with some static text) and then have the line items below that. The number
of line items can vary from invoice to invoice. I've got a basic example
working ok with the line items when I merge to a new document but I can't
get it to just show the address block information (merge fields with some
static text) only at the top and not repeated with every line item. For
example I would like it to look something like this:

Invoice # 123

To:
John Smith
123 Smith St
Smithville

Date Descriptoin Price

1/6/2007 widgets 45.00
15/6/2007 banananas 55.00

Total 100.00

Does anyone know if this is possible in word via the mail merge and what
steps I might be missing to accomplish this?

Many thanks,
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word isn't very good at this (do it as an Access report if you can) but see
the "Group Multiple items for a single
condition" section on Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

or

Peter Jamieson

"Microsoft Newsserver" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to replicate something similar to an invoice in a Word document
via a mail merge. I'm selecting Directory as the document type and have a
datasource with several records of line items.

I would like to have some details appear only at the top (e.g. the person
who is receving the invoice and their address which are merge fields,
along with some static text) and then have the line items below that. The
number of line items can vary from invoice to invoice. I've got a basic
example working ok with the line items when I merge to a new document but
I can't get it to just show the address block information (merge fields
with some static text) only at the top and not repeated with every line
item. For example I would like it to look something like this:

Invoice # 123

To:
John Smith
123 Smith St