Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
don don is offline

Default open documents with earlier version of Word

PC has Windows XP SP2.

I have both Office 97 and Office 2003 installed - 2003 primarily for Outlook
2003, but I OCCASIONALY use Excel or Word 2003.

I want to open documents in Word 97 - cause it opens faster, and Word 2003
always tries to "install" something when opening by clicking on a .doc file
- not sure what that is all about - don't care.

Changing with the "open with" dialog does not help...it still opens with
Word 2003 - that time and all future. "WINWORD" always seem to end up with
2003....although Word 97 opens fine when I start with the offie 97 shortcut.

Microsoft Bill has iinfected my 'puter so it will only do what he wants it
to do. I want to click on .doc files and have it open with Word 97 - while I
keep Word 2003 installed.

Possible - evidenty some registry hacking ???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Both Word versions share some registry entries and will thus conflict. If
you have Word as your Outlook editor it will always grab back the registry
entries it needs each time you open Outlook. Starting from the appropriate
shortcuts is the most reliable option.