Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Barry Barry is offline

Default Setting up a Book

How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents, Chapters, Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a way to do
this quickly? Thanks, Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Quickly? If you invest some time into setting your document, you can get
all the TOC, Index, etc to create and update very quickly.

This page has an overview of the general process, and links to related
articles.

So You Want to Write a Book with MS Word
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

In other words, the famous 'Organise prelims and aftermatter' function.

"Barry" wrote in message
How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents, Chapters, Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a way to
do this quickly? Thanks, Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Forget my silly post. That webpage is *brilliant* Daiya!

.. .

On 10/27/06 1:59 PM, "Barry" wrote:

How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents, Chapters,
Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a way to
do
this quickly? Thanks, Barry

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, it's just a collection of other people's brilliant links, but thanks.
For a while last year or the year before there were a number of frequent
requests for such information, so I started by just compiling the links, and
then it grew and grew and grew. I need to update and edit it, but...

Daiya

On 10/27/06 1:59 PM, "Barry" wrote:

How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents, Chapters,
Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a way to
do
this quickly? Thanks, Barry

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Just one proviso. I find, working as an editor, that commercial publishers
do not want books structured per se, but only the raw text (possibly with
coded headings and subheadings), which they then flow into their own
systems. But for self-publishing this looks ideal.

On 10/27/06 1:59 PM, "Barry" wrote:

How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents, Chapters,
Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a way
do
this quickly? Thanks, Barry

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That's the difference between a manuscript and a book. The inquiries we get
here are very rarely from writers who have found a commercial publisher for
their books; if they had, they would have guidelines from the publisher they
were looking to meet.

I'm currently dealing with a client for whom I copyedited and formatted a
manuscript, and that's emphatically all it was. The last time I gave it back
to him, I stressed that I had done all I could, and I was through with it
(it's a terrible book, and I really wanted to walk away). Unfortunately,
he's a fellow Rotarian, a stroke survivor (that's what the book is about),
and I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Now he's back at me wanting to know (if I understand his poorly phrased
question) how to remove the header from the document for publication. I told
him to just send the ms to the publisher and let the publisher worry about
it. He said he's self-publishing. In that case, I told him, you need a book,
not a ms. The problem, I suspect, is that he's publishing through one of
these online POD publishers, who undoubtedly have specific submission
guidelines, which I could presumably meet if I knew what they were, but I
have no intention of handing out answers to vague questions at a Rotary
meeting when I'm otherwise *very* busy. I told him, "Now is not the time,"
but I guess I should really get back to him and see if I can meet his needs
(despite my early disclaimers). It's just that every time I get his file
back, he's crapped it up with a lot of direct formatting because he doesn't
know how to deal with the styles I carefully used. sigh

On 10/27/06 1:59 PM, "Barry" wrote:

How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents, Chapters,
Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a

way
do
this quickly? Thanks, Barry

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, even before self-publishing, Word's features offer some value. The
ability to use outline view is really helpful in organizing thoughts. I
don't do numbering, but if one is sending around the manuscript or chapters
for feedback, numbering, cross-references, etc are important. And one
usually sends a printed manuscript to try to get a publisher to accept it (I
think?) and then those things are useful even if the press wipes them out
later. But it's really sort of aimed at dissertation writers, because that's
what I was when I put the links together.

Daiya

On 10/27/06 1:59 PM, "Barry" wrote:

How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents, Chapters,
Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a way
do
this quickly? Thanks, Barry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

Yes, been there, done that. IMHO self-published authors really want two
stages of work (if we leave out the dangerous one of assessment!). 1) They
want the text copy edited and probably structurally edited, and 2) they then
want what in effect is a book designer.

I have recently done one for private client aged 90 (who happened to be very
good). He is submitting it to what I call (unfairly, probably) 'real'
publishers so it is in effect a pre-submission edit. But on the whole
private clients can be really difficult. They tend to be the ones who hang
on to a misplaced comma or wrong expression with gritted teeth and will not
let go. I prefer publishers.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

On 10/27/06 1:59 PM, "Barry" wrote:

How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents,
Chapters,
Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a

way
do
this quickly? Thanks, Barry

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes, been there, done that. IMHO self-published authors really want two
stages of work (if we leave out the dangerous one of assessment!). 1) They
want the text copy edited and probably structurally edited, and 2) they

then
want what in effect is a book designer.

These are the two kinds of jobs I do, though more often lately I do both. I
have no problem designing and preparing "camera-ready copy" (though nowadays
it's usually a PDF file sent directly to the commercial printer) for a book
(see http://home.earthlink.net/~wordsintotype/Books.htm), but I haven't yet
gotten up to speed on what's required to send a "book" to one of these
online POD houses, and I'm leery of it. I've seen some very nice and some
incredibly awful products of such "publishers," and I don't know whether
it's a GIGO issue or a difference between publishers.

"aalaan" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

On 10/27/06 1:59 PM, "Barry" wrote:

How can I use Word to set up a book with Table of Contents,
Chapters,
Page
Numbers, Headers, Footers, Images, Glossary, and Index? Is there a

way
do
this quickly? Thanks, Barry

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news news is offline

In message , Suzanne S. Barnhill
writes

It's just that every time I get his file
back, he's crapped it up with a lot of direct formatting because he doesn't
know how to deal with the styles I carefully used. sigh

Oh Suzanne, how I sympathize! They should teach stylesheets in schools,
along with touch typing.

And the standard of English speling and grammer these days. It's
appalling! One document I edited a few years ago was so bad that in a
whimsical moment I added the warning:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This document is a draft and may contain errers, ommisions and dylsexic
typsos.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The client thanked me for adding the warning, but said it contained a
mistake: there should be a comma after "document" . I tittered politely
at the joke, until it slowly dawned on me that she meant it......

sigh

--
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Some of us flunked typing and still do quite nicely. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"news" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Dyslexia rules KO!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"news" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
news news is offline

In message , aalaan
writes
Even grammer gets wrongly spelled!

My apologies. Of course, I should have said:

"And the standard of English speling and grammer is a sic joke these
days ...."

(All together now: groan).

--
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

We did!

Terry

"news" wrote in message
In message , aalaan writes
Even grammer gets wrongly spelled!

My apologies. Of course, I should have said:

"And the standard of English speling and grammer is a sic joke these days
...."

(All together now: groan).

--
Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Definately better! g

"news" wrote in message
In message , aalaan
writes
Even grammer gets wrongly spelled!

My apologies. Of course, I should have said:

"And the standard of English speling and grammer is a sic joke these
days ...."

(All together now: groan).

--
Ian