Adena Danielle

Default Outline Numbering

Word 2000
I have a document that I can not get to number correctly.

I followed Shauna Kelly's "How to create numbered headings or outline
numbering in your Microsoft Word document" to a T, and I still can't solve
one main problem.

Want only my Heading 1 to be numbered and I want the first heading 1 to
start with number 1. I formatted the style for heading 1 numbering to
outline format and did just at Kelly's directions said. I put the "Start at"
number to be 1--- when I did this all of my heading 1's were numbered
correctly except it started at 2 instead of one.

So it went:
2 Heading 1
3 Heading 1
4 Heading 1 and so on...

So I changed the start number to be 0 and it numbered starting with the
first heading 1 as #1. Then it was the correct look, but why did I run into
this problem? And is there some type of formatting that I need to do to fix
it???

Thanks Adena

Best guess is that you have a manual page break before the first Heading 1.
The page break is taking on the Heading 1 style and appropriating the first
number (even though it isn't displayed. Instead of using a manual page
break, format the heading as "Page break before."