vicki in SantaBarbara

Default anyone have any idea how to mark a table of contents in Word 2002?

I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant in my office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For the life of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.
garfield-n-odie

It's done the same way in Word 2002 as it is in Word 2003.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:
I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant in my office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For the life of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.

vicki in SantaBarbara

hmmmm really.... In word 2003, I just highlight the text and hit the button
on my toolbar. As far as I can see in word 2002, there is no button on the
toolbar to do it and everything I have read on how to do it seems a lot more
complicated than just hitting a button.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

It's done the same way in Word 2002 as it is in Word 2003.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:
I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant in my office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For the life of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.

garfield-n-odie

I think you must have added that button your Word 2003 toolbar.
You can add the same button to your Word 2002 toolbar. Or just
highlight the text and press Alt+Shift+O (that's the letter O,
not the number zero).

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

It's done the same way in Word 2002 as it is in Word 2003.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:

I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant in my office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For the life of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diana Diana is offline

Default anyone have any idea how to mark a table of contents in Word 2

Suzanne, these instructions no longer work for me. (Word 2003) I use my own
defined styles in the document. I assign TOC levels to the proper styles.
When I generate the table of contents, the entire paragraph shows up in the
TOC rather than stopping at the first period. I'm reading around that you
need to now apply the heading style directly to the text, but when I do that,
it applied to the entire paragraph. Then there is something about using the
TOC toolbar, but the instructions make no sense to me. Is there anywhere I
can find clearer instructions?

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

It's done the same way in Word 2002 as it is in Word 2003.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:

I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant in my

office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For the life

of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have created TC fields, you need to check the box for "Table entry
fields" in the TOC Options dialog (and probably clear the boxes for "Styles"
and "Outline levels").

But from your description it does not sound as if you have actually created
TC fields. In that case, you must either apply a paragraph to a portion of a
paragraph, insert a style separator, or use a hidden paragraph mark (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Note that marking a TOC entry inserts a TC field, but this is rarely
necessary; see http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

It's done the same way in Word 2002 as it is in Word 2003.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:

I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant in my

office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For the

life
of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diana Diana is offline

I sure am struggling with this. I formatted the text I want to appear in
the TOC as "Heading 1", then entered an invisilbe return, then formatted the
rest of the paragraph as I wanted it, in the Legal_L1 style. It still picks
up both, i.e., the entire paragraph shows up in the TOC, albeit on separate
lines now. argh.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

It's done the same way in Word 2002 as it is in Word 2003.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:

I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant in my
office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For the

life
of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My guess is that Legal_L1 has an outline level of 1 and consequently is
picked up automatically. You can delete the 1 beside the style in the TOC
Options dialog or change the outline level in the style definition to Body
Text.

news

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

It's done the same way in Word 2002 as it is in Word 2003.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:

I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant

in my
office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For

the
life
of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diana Diana is offline

YOU CAN DELETE THE 1 BESIDE THE STYLE IN THE TOC OPTIONS - I do not have a
1 there because in the TOC Options dialog I have only clicked on "TABLE ENTRY
FIELDS" and nothing else. None of the styles to the right are checked, they
are actually greyed out. So the way I understand it, the TOC grabs the text
I put in the TOC field (when I marked the section), but it's formatting based
on the TOC style. Which does not pick up my automatic numbering in my
document.

OR CHANGE THE OUTLINE LEVEL IN THE STYLE DEFINTION TO BODY TEXT - this I
don't understand. Outline level, in the style definition. ?

Text.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

My guess is that Legal_L1 has an outline level of 1 and consequently is
picked up automatically. You can delete the 1 beside the style in the TOC
Options dialog or change the outline level in the style definition to Body
Text.

news

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

It's done the same way in Word 2002 as it is in Word 2003.

vicki in SantaBarbara wrote:

I have word 2003 on my computer but another legal assistant

in my
office has
word 2002 and occasionally i have to use her computer. For

the
life
of me, I
cannot figure out how to mark a table of content entry.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diana Diana is offline

Suzanne - ignore the above, I am trying to solve the problem from two
different directions, and forgot what direction I asked for your help from.!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

My guess is that Legal_L1 has an outline level of 1 and consequently is
picked up automatically. You can delete the 1 beside the style in the TOC
Options dialog or change the outline level in the style definition to Body
Text.

news