Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Woody Woody is offline

Default Shift - Alt - D shortcut - Again

I asked this question a few days ago. I even got a reply in my email. But
when I click on the link in the reply, nothing happens. I am never actually
taken to the question and I am unable to refind the question here on this
forum. So, here goes again.

I have been using the Shift-Alt-D short cut lately and supposed it would put
in a date in my WORD document that is static. It does not. I discovered
subsequently that the day changes to whatever today's date is when you reopen
files. (like a day or two later)

Is there a shortcut key that will allow me to put today's date quickly in a
document and it not change subsequently?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you want a static date, it will be easier to type it in.

The date inserted by the Alt+Shift+D shortcut is a DATE field; after it has
been added to a document what you can do is change it into a CREATEDATE
field: Press Alt+F9 to show field codes. Your date will look similar to {
DATE \@ "MM/d/yy" }. Change the DATE part to CREATEDATE. Press F9 to
update, and then press Alt+F9 to hide field codes. Now, you'll see the
creation date of the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Woody" wrote in message
I asked this question a few days ago. I even got a reply in my email. But
when I click on the link in the reply, nothing happens. I am never
actually
taken to the question and I am unable to refind the question here on this
forum. So, here goes again.

I have been using the Shift-Alt-D short cut lately and supposed it would
put
in a date in my WORD document that is static. It does not. I discovered
subsequently that the day changes to whatever today's date is when you
reopen
files. (like a day or two later)

Is there a shortcut key that will allow me to put today's date quickly in
document and it not change subsequently?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Woody Woody is offline

Thank you for the clarification.

I suppose another way would be to create a macro that inserts the CreateDate
field. Y/N?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, that would of course be possible. To get the date format you want, you
could record a macro when inserting the field manually. Then attach the
resulting macro to a toolbar button (Word 97-2003) or to the Quick Access
Toolbar (Word 2007).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Woody" wrote in message
Thank you for the clarification.

I suppose another way would be to create a macro that inserts the
CreateDate
field. Y/N?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Woody Woody is offline

Thank you. That was very helpful.

One other question please. I have been reading this message directly from
your web site. But I want to switch to a news reader (Outlook Express).
However, in msnews.microsoft.com , I do not see this forum listed. I would
have guessed the account would have been something like
Microsoft.public.word.general, but I don't see anything like that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can also save the appropriate CREATEDATE field as an AutoText entry and
assign it to a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut.

http://word.mvps.org

"Woody" wrote in message
Thank you for the clarification.

I suppose another way would be to create a macro that inserts the
CreateDate
field. Y/N?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Woody wrote:
Thank you. That was very helpful.

One other question please. I have been reading this message directly
from your web site. But I want to switch to a news reader (Outlook
Express). However, in msnews.microsoft.com , I do not see this forum
listed. I would have guessed the account would have been something
like Microsoft.public.word.general, but I don't see anything like
that.

Its real name is microsoft.public.word.docmanagement.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

That would be much easier of course.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Woody" wrote in message
Thank you for the clarification.

I suppose another way would be to create a macro that inserts the
CreateDate
field. Y/N?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad I could help, but see also Suzanne's reply for an even easier solution.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Woody" wrote in message
Thank you. That was very helpful.

One other question please. I have been reading this message directly from
your web site. But I want to switch to a news reader (Outlook Express).
However, in msnews.microsoft.com , I do not see this forum listed. I
would
have guessed the account would have been something like
Microsoft.public.word.general, but I don't see anything like that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Press Alt+F9 to show field codes. Change the DATE part to CREATEDATE; this
changes the field into a CREATEDATE field which, as the name implies, shows
the creation date of the file. Press F9 to update. Press Alt+F9 again to hide
field codes.

Note that if you want to add a (completely) static date, typing it in will
be quicker.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP