Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jack

Default Captions on multi-page tables or figures

My document has a number of reference tables that can span more than one
page. I also sometimes have a figure or diagram that must be placed on
multiple pages (page 1 of 3, page 2 of 3, page 3 of 3).

I would like to use the Word Captions or AutoCaptions because I may insert
or remove tables and figures throughout a 100-200 page document. To go back
and re-number the captions manually would require too much work.

When I use the captions, they only appear once in the paragraph that follows
the table. Unfortunately the other pages that have this table or figure have
no description of what the audience is looking at. Some of these reference
tables can span 5-10 pages.

Is there a way to get captions for a multiple page table to appear at the
top or bottom of all of the pages where the table exists?
--
Jack Rumple
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jack

It may be bad form to reply to your own post, but I just found one way to do
this for a table.

I inserted the caption above the table.
Then I added a row above the first row of the table. I merged all of the
columns and removed the top, left, and right borders.
Next I cut the caption paragraph from above the table and pasted it into
this new row. With this row included as the heading rows of the table, it
appears to work.

I haven't done a lot of testing of this technique and it would only work
with figures if you paste your figures into a table with no borders. If
someone has a better way of getting captions to repeat for multiple page
tables and figures, please reply to this post. Thank you.
--
Jack Rumple

"Jack" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Margaret Aldis

Yes, using a secret heading row for a repeating caption is the
straightforward way to do it, though I have also seen solutions that put
very long tables into separate Sections and use the header/footer, possibly
using a StyleRef field to pick up the main caption. You would need to use a
separate Section if you wanted to do any page counting.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jack" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jack

Thanks for the advice. I haven't used StyleRef fields, but I've used other
fields. I'll look into this option.
--
Jack Rumple