Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ElPayode ElPayode is offline

Default Mailmerge plain textfile selects double-byte (Chinese) characterse

I'm trying to mailmerge a Word 2003 document (in Arial 12 Western
characterset - language Dutch) with a plain text file. For some reason the
converter seems to detect double-byte characters - which aren't there - and
changes the characterset to Chinese Traditional.
When using the same record in a truncated file (same information, but a lot
less records in the text file) the conversion is NOT made.

I don't need and don't WANT this conversion to take place. How can I force
the mailmerge to use the test file as a file with single-byte characters and
a western characterset?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I only know one way to do this and it can only possibly work with text files
in a format that the Jet (Access) OLE DB provider can recognise - in
particular, it won't work with files with more than 255 columns. To try it,
have a look for my message in the following conversation:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...unicode&rnum=1

Peter Jamieson