Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KB KB is offline

Default Document fails to Open in Word - 383 Kb Size in Windows Explorer

I have just been working on a doc since noon
Copy of RefDoc€“ Operating Model and Governance Framework for Development
Factory.doc. The doc is 383 KB in size.

At 19:00hrs i got a freak passing message - something like too many edits ....

The application closed and now i get this message

The document name or path is not valid
Try one or more of the following:
* Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly
* On the file menu, click on open. Search for the file using this dialog box

I click ok and nothing happens .. boom..

I have racking my brains out - since morning on this one - and had reached
90% completion levels on the doc. Can some one help me on how to recover this
file. MS Word experts come to my rescue

Rgds,
KB.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

OK, you made too many edits without saving, and the file corrupted.

Word then crashed before it had a chance to save it.

Look in ToolsOptionsSave... Do you have "Always make backup copy"
checked? If not, there's nothing to look for and you've lost it. Check
that option so you're covered next time.

If you DO have that option checked, then there will be a file of the same
name in the same folder with "Backup of..." at the front of the file name
and the extension ".wbk"

Open it: it will have the content as it was when you last saved the file.

Otherwise, if Word managed to complete the first part of the save, there may
be a file in the folder with a name consisting of numbers. You will need to
enable "Show system and hidden files" in File Explorer to see it. That may
be the file, try opening it.

Sorry...

On 7/2/07 2:03 AM, in article
, "KB"
wrote:

I have just been working on a doc since noon
Copy of RefDoc* Operating Model and Governance Framework for Development
Factory.doc. The doc is 383 KB in size.

At 19:00hrs i got a freak passing message - something like too many edits ....

The application closed and now i get this message

The document name or path is not valid
Try one or more of the following:
* Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly
* On the file menu, click on open. Search for the file using this dialog box

I click ok and nothing happens .. boom..

I have racking my brains out - since morning on this one - and had reached
90% completion levels on the doc. Can some one help me on how to recover this
file. MS Word experts come to my rescue

Rgds,
KB.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410