Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Legal Learning Legal Learning is offline

Default Word 2007 Heading styles with Multi-level outline numbering

I want the following.

Multi-level outline numbering linked to styles.

1. Heading 1 Lead in text. laskd fjasldk fjasldkf jaslk jflaksd
fjlaksd fjalks dfjlask jflaskd jflaks fjlaskjflaksd

a. Lead in text for heading 2. asld kfajsldfk jasdlfka
sjdflkas jdflkasj dflkasj dflkasjdf

So on and so forth.

However, I want to generate a table of contents with only the lead in text
to appear in the table of contents. I know that in 2002 and 2003 we could
use the style separator. I have tried the default linked heading styles but
it doesn't work when linking the heading style to the multilevel list.

So, how do I link Heading 1 thru 9 to a multi-level list and
how do I create a table of contents using only the lead in text. (am I
stuck with the style separator still?)
--
CLG
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If your files are going to stay in W2007, take advantage of unlinked files:
In the styles pane, make sure to clear the Disable linked styles checkbox. I
believe Word's built-in heading styles are already linked, that is, both
paragraph and character styles. (You'll see both symbols next to the style
in the styles pane.) Apply your regular text style to the whole paragraph;
then apply your heading style to the part your want as the run-in head.

If the files are going to be used in both W2007 and W2003, use the style
separator:
Create a heading paragraph followed by a text paragraph. Add the style
separator icon to the QAT (look in all commands or commands not in ribbon).
With the cursor in the heading paragraph, click the style separator icon.
Word will hide the next paragraph mark it encounters, and the two paragraphs
will appear to be joined.

In both of these cases, the TOC will catch only the text styled as a heading.
On thing to watch for is incompatibilities between the two styles. Keep with
leave odd gaps in the line spacing.

I use the style separator often, but have not use linked styles in production
because none of my clients are using W2007 exclusively.

PamC

Legal Learning wrote:
I want the following.

Multi-level outline numbering linked to styles.

1. Heading 1 Lead in text. laskd fjasldk fjasldkf jaslk jflaksd
fjlaksd fjalks dfjlask jflaskd jflaks fjlaskjflaksd

a. Lead in text for heading 2. asld kfajsldfk jasdlfka
sjdflkas jdflkasj dflkasj dflkasjdf

So on and so forth.

However, I want to generate a table of contents with only the lead in text
to appear in the table of contents. I know that in 2002 and 2003 we could
use the style separator. I have tried the default linked heading styles but
it doesn't work when linking the heading style to the multilevel list.

So, how do I link Heading 1 thru 9 to a multi-level list and
how do I create a table of contents using only the lead in text. (am I
stuck with the style separator still?)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Legal Learning Legal Learning is offline

Thanks Pam,

I understand about the linked styles and that is a fabulous solution in Word
2007. Howveer, it doesn't work for me when I have outline numbering applied
to the heading style. Perhaps I am applying the numbering wrong. I
understand about the 2007 to 2003 and most of my clients are default saving
to 2003 because of their clients. It might be a while before anyone really
starts defaulting to saving as docx. Espcially law firms! )

Do you have any experience in linking the numbering to the heading styles?
--
CLG

Legal Learning wrote:
I want the following.

Multi-level outline numbering linked to styles.

1. Heading 1 Lead in text. laskd fjasldk fjasldkf jaslk jflaksd
fjlaksd fjalks dfjlask jflaskd jflaks fjlaskjflaksd

a. Lead in text for heading 2. asld kfajsldfk jasdlfka
sjdflkas jdflkasj dflkasj dflkasjdf

So on and so forth.

However, I want to generate a table of contents with only the lead in text
to appear in the table of contents. I know that in 2002 and 2003 we could
use the style separator. I have tried the default linked heading styles but
it doesn't work when linking the heading style to the multilevel list.

So, how do I link Heading 1 thru 9 to a multi-level list and
how do I create a table of contents using only the lead in text. (am I
stuck with the style separator still?)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are right. I must not have tried the linked styles method with numbered
headings. Just now, only the heading style (& not the numbering) is being
applied even with a list style. This should probably be reported to MS.

The cool thing is that we CAN wait for them to get it right, 'cause the style
separator works now and we're not going to be delivering 2007 files anytime
soon.

PamC

Legal Learning wrote:
Thanks Pam,

I understand about the linked styles and that is a fabulous solution in Word
2007. Howveer, it doesn't work for me when I have outline numbering applied
to the heading style. Perhaps I am applying the numbering wrong. I
understand about the 2007 to 2003 and most of my clients are default saving
to 2003 because of their clients. It might be a while before anyone really
starts defaulting to saving as docx. Espcially law firms! )

Do you have any experience in linking the numbering to the heading styles?
If your files are going to stay in W2007, take advantage of unlinked files:
In the styles pane, make sure to clear the Disable linked styles checkbox. I

[quoted text clipped - 41 lines]