Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Phil G. Phil G. is offline

Default MS Word Compatibility on Windows Vista

What is the minimum version of Microsoft Word that will run on Microsoft
Windows Vista Home Premium? I have Office 97 Pro installed and Word doesn't
function correctly. The "Print" menu item acts like the "Exit" menu item,
kicking me out of MS Word as soon as I click it. I think the source of the
problem is that Word 97 uses COM technology, because if I try to convert a
Word document into a PDF using WordToPDF, I get an error message that talks
access to the COM interface through Winword Document.

So what do I need to do in order to be able to use MS Word on Windows Vista?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There are two issues here - the compatibility of Office 97 and the problem
printing.

1. Office 97 is compatible with Vista.

2. The print issue appears to be because you have the default printer set as
WordToPDF and it is probably WordToPDF that is incompatible. Check with the
writers of WordToPDF. You should be able to use PrimoPDF (free download) to
create PDFs from Word, if your budget doesn't run to Acrobat 8.1.

The crash will have left loads of unwanted stuff on your hard drive that can
only make matters worse - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm