Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ju4dy Ju4dy is offline

Default Bibliography in Word 2007 Invalid source specified

I am trying to use the bibliography/citations in Word 2007, but it keeps
saying "Invalid source specified" even though I've entered all the
information for the sources. I have tried re-installing Office 2007 and
repairing it, but nothing is working. This is really frustrating because this
would be an awesome feature if it would just work.

Any suggestions?

Judy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

On 18 sep, 18:14, Ju4dy wrote:
I am trying to use thebibliography/citations in Word 2007, but it keeps
saying "Invalid source specified" even though I've entered all the
information for the sources. I have tried re-installing Office 2007 and
repairing it, but nothing is working. This is really frustrating because this
would be an awesome feature if it would just work.

Any suggestions?

Judy

There are a couple of reasons why you might see this output: an error
in the stylesheet of the style you are using (unlikely since you
wouldn't be able to select the style from the list in the first
place). Also, if the output of the formatting is empty, because there
is nothing to display for some reason, Word 2007 will not accept that
and display the message. There might be other causes as well.

I might be able to narrow down the issue if you could answer the
following questions:
- Does it happen with all the styles? Or just with one style? (try
using APA, Turabian, ...)
- Does it happen with just one source? Or with all the sources?

Yves
--
http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RSkelton RSkelton is offline

Hi Yves,

I have the exact same problem. I also reinstalled Office and that did not
fix it. It happens with every style, and and it happens with every source.

Hoping you can help,
Rob.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

On 10 nov, 04:35, RSkelton wrote:
Hi Yves,

I have the exact same problem. I also reinstalled Office and that did not
fix it. It happens with every style, and and it happens with every source.

Hoping you can help,
Rob.

The fact that you can actually select a style from the list implies
that they are installed and not corrupt.

Are you using a Word 2007 document? The citation and bibliography
tools are not 'useful' in Word 97-2003 documents. They only work in a
limited way.

In case you are creating a Word 2007 document, select "Manage Sources"
from the ribbon. In the right side column ("Current List"), there
should be a list of sources which are currently used in your document.

- Is this list empty?
- If the list is not empty, do you see check marks (little v's) in
front of any/all of them?

Yves
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RSkelton RSkelton is offline

It is a Word 2007 document. In Manage Sources I see all the sources I have
entered. None have a check mark beside them. The preview pane says "invalid
source specified" for each of them.

Rob

"p0" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

If none of the sources in the right column have a check mark next to
them, that would mean they aren't used in your text. That would
explain you seeing "Invalid source specified" in your text. However,
it doesn't explain you seeing that text in the preview pane.

In Manage Sources, could you select "Sort by Tag". Then, from the
current list (right column), write down the tag of one of the sources.
The tag will be the letters and numbers before the first comma.
Something like "Can92". Close the window again and in Word press CTRL
+F9. Two brackets will appear. In between them, type the CITATION
followed by the tag you found. So you will get something like
{ CITATION Can92 }. Now right click on it and pick "Update field...".

If the above still doesn't work, you can try the following: mail me a
Word 2007 document containing several in-text citations and a
bibliography. Make sure it shows the "Invalid source specified" stuff.
Also, mail me one of your styles. The styles can be found in the Word
2007 directory\Bibliography\Style (commonly, this is C:\Program Files
\Microsoft Office\Office12\Bibliography\Style). That way I should be
able to figure out if the problem is with the document, the
stylesheet, or your copy of word.

Yves
--

"p0" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sam sam is offline

I encountered the same problem after installing Windows 7 ultimate on a
new hard drive. I tried all the suggested solutions to no avail.
However, I only managed to access the references by downloading a trail
version of word 2010 and imported the document and updated the fields.
I still wonder if there is a solution to this problem without having to
pu.
Sam rchase a new MSO 2010?

--
sam
sam's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=2419

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, since you didn't say what your "same problem" is (two years
later almost to the day of the initial posting in this thread), advice
can't be too specific; but did you try everything suggested by Yves
("p0") on November 11, 2008?