Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gary

Default How do I stop Word tmp files from appearing on my XP desktop?

My desktop is cluttered with tmp files from Word. I've looked in File
locations for autorecover files and that seems to be OK (is doesn't show the
desktop as the location for autorecover files). I'm running Windows XP.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Gary wrote:
My desktop is cluttered with tmp files from Word. I've looked in File
locations for autorecover files and that seems to be OK (is doesn't
show the desktop as the location for autorecover files). I'm running
Windows XP.

The only way is to stop storing and editing documents on the desktop. Store
the documents in any other folder. If you need desktop access, make
shortcuts to the documents (just right-click the document in Windows
Explorer and choose Send To Desktop as shortcut).

Word must make some temp files in the same folder as the document file, and
there's no way to change that (see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632). By keeping the documents off the
desktop, you simply won't see the temp files unless you go looking for them.

If Word leaves temp files behind after you close the document, especially
after a crash, you should clean them out. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Is there a Fast Search in Word? [email protected] New Users 14 February 11th 05 09:43 PM