Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Default Setting up a separte Appendix Letter Numbering Stream?

Fellow Forum Members,
I need to know what is the easiest way to setup a separate numbering stream
for Appendix A, B, C & D following Chapter 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the same WORD
file. All my Chapters utilize Heading 1 as a style. Therefore, what I did
was make a copy of Heading 1 and named it Appendix Heading to use for all my
Appendices. The problem I'm having with Appendix Heading is getting it to
count using A, B, C, D without damaging my Chapter number counting. How do I
tweak the Appendix Heading style so that it becomes a separate numbering
stream from my Heading 1 Chapter Numbering, and still be maintained in the
TOC? Any helpl will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Binar:

My understanding of the best way to use autonumbering is only to apply it
through style definitions. I don't think it's wise to try to have two
different numbering systems applied to the same style or to a style based on
the same style.

I think the best approach is to define all your chapter and appendix
headings using Heading 1 through Heading 9 (say H1 through H3 for chapters
and their subdivisions, and H5 through H7 for appendices and their
subdivisions).

Apply and maintain all levels of outline numbering through the definition of
Heading 1. Make Heading 5 look like Heading 1 etc.

Intermediate levels (H2, H3, H6, H7) need not have numbers.

You can't go wrong if you follow this information:

http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...ppendixes.html

Also of interest:

http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...Numbering.html
http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...ingStyles.html

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Binar:

PS: I suggested using the built-in headings and outline numbering because I
assumed you'd be using chapter number prefixing. If that's not the case, you
may also consider using SEQ fields to supply your chapter and appendix
numbers.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Bear,
Thanks for the help. I have looked at your links and I'm sweating bullits.
The problem I foresee is that I have used all 9 headings already. I'm working
on a complex Technical Manual, and all 9 headings are being utilized. Does
WORD allow one to add headings 10, 11, 12 ? But in my opinion, pursuing such
an option is the same thing as copying a heading style and then renaming it
as something else. If you have any good links that cover Sequence Fields
please post them.
Thanks

"Bear" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Using all heading levels is a guaranteed way to make your "complex technical
manual" totally unusable. Research studies have proved that users can't
usefully deal with more than about four heading levels.

"Bear" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Binar:

I think Suzanne is right. If you're actually using nine subdivisions of
material, you're creating a hierarchal structure your readers won't be able
to comprehend.

Assuming you're NOT using them all for subsbusbusublevels of information
etc. would it be possible to create additional custom styles to use in their
place, freeing up the built-in heading styles for use in your appendices?

I don't mean to discourage you from creating a whole suite of appendix
headings with their own, separately defined outline-numbering scheme. Just
don't mix the numbering definitions. I'd hesitate to base the appendix styles
on the built-in styles, but you could create a custom style to act as the
base style for both suites of heading styles, then just fiddle with the fonts
and alignment and margins etc. in two places each time.

Before I make any more suggestions, please tell me:

1. Do you need to number the subheadings, i.e. are you using outline
numbering or just trying to get chapter and appendix numbers, i.e. using
plain numbering.

2. Do you need chapter number prefixing (e.g. Page 4.3 or Figure 3-11).

Bear
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Bear and Suzanne,
Thanks for the help. I have gone back through my technical manual and freed
up Heading Level 9. I have already tweaked it for use as an Appendix Heading
and it seems to work great. This is my first technical manual I have done
using WORD. I have only used FrameMaker until now. So far it's been a real
learning experience and I want to thank everyone in this forum for all the
help they have provided.