Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CODan CODan is offline

Default my double click format painter doesn't work

When I double click the format painter, it works for ONE application and then
shuts off. I can't paint multiple items.

Note: this is only for one particular document. any other doc it works fine
in.

so apparently I've done something to that doc. I've been working extensively
with styles so perhaps that is related.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Have you tried Open and Repair this particular document?
I have not come across this symptom being from a possibly corrupt file, but
this could be a worth while first step.
Best of luck
DeanH

"CODan" wrote:

When I double click the format painter, it works for ONE application and then
shuts off. I can't paint multiple items.

Note: this is only for one particular document. any other doc it works fine
in.

so apparently I've done something to that doc. I've been working extensively
with styles so perhaps that is related.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I find Ctrl+Shift+C (Copy Format) and Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste Format) more
convenient, anyway, as the copied format remains available for pasting until
you copy another format, so you can edit naturally, pasting the format as
needed, interspersed with other tasks.

"CODan" wrote in message
Anyone have an idea on this?

"CODan" wrote:

When I double click the format painter, it works for ONE application and
then
shuts off. I can't paint multiple items.

Note: this is only for one particular document. any other doc it works
fine
in.

so apparently I've done something to that doc. I've been working
extensively
with styles so perhaps that is related.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CODan CODan is offline

Thanks, and I'll use that.

Note that the double-click painter doesn't work in ANY document now in Word
2007.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

FWIW, I find Ctrl+Shift+C (Copy Format) and Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste Format) more
convenient, anyway, as the copied format remains available for pasting until
you copy another format, so you can edit naturally, pasting the format as
needed, interspersed with other tasks.

"CODan" wrote in message
Anyone have an idea on this?

"CODan" wrote:

When I double click the format painter, it works for ONE application and
then
shuts off. I can't paint multiple items.

Note: this is only for one particular document. any other doc it works
fine
in.

so apparently I've done something to that doc. I've been working
extensively
with styles so perhaps that is related.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Dan,

Double clicking the format painter when you have the formatting you wish to copy 'from' selected should work in print layout view.
It should stay on until you click the format painter in Home=Clipboard again or use the esc key. Do you perhaps have a button on
your mouse defined as an Escape key? Try doing a slower double click on the Format Painter as well.

If you hold the ctrl key while starting Word do you have the same problem.
====

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CODan CODan is offline

- problem program: Word 2007
- I have many years of previous experience with Word 2003, including
thousands of uses of the format painter and hundreds of pages of heavily
formatted material for my classes (I am a Math & CS professor)
- format painter works perfectly in Excel 2007 (I just checked)
- problem started, to the best of my memory, shortly after Word 2007 was
installed on my computer, when I started work on a long doc
- I don't have any other double click related problems (select a word works
fine, for example, programs run, files open)
- same problem when starting with a ctrl (safe mode I learned)
- mouse key is not defined as ESC as far as I can tell (checked mouse in
control panel; mouse settings are all standard for speed, etc.
- there are no "custom add ins" to my knowledge; the IT people did a
straight install as far as I now.
- the only customizing I've done is some styles (with shortcut keys, which I
just rest anyway) and some buttons on the Quick Access Toolbar

Is there some way to "reset" Word settings (without deleting my styles)?
Note: I just reset all keyboard shortcuts and this didn't help.

IMPT INFO
---------------
I reset my normal template (deleted it and then word recreated it, thank you
help file) and all the format painter WORKS on all NEW docs.

So I must have done something to the normal template. I thought I just
reset margins and the font size. What did I do?

And is there anything I can do to fix my existing doc, which is now 90+ pages.

Thanks.

"CODan" wrote in message ...
Thanks, and I'll use that.

Note that the double-click painter doesn't work in ANY document now in Word 2007.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gil Gil is offline

I think I ran into the same problem with Word 2007 SP1. In my case the
problem is caused by use of one of the page number galleries in the footer or
header of the document. Once I removed the footer/header, format painter
magically started working as expected once again.

I am able to recreate this behavior with a new document on another computer
so this looks like a problem in Word rather than a corrupted document or
normal template.

Fortunately, there is a simple workaround - insert the page number into the
header/footer via quick parts instead of the page number galleries.

I hope this helps.

Gil

"CODan" wrote in message ...
Thanks, and I'll use that.

Note that the double-click painter doesn't work in ANY document now in Word 2007.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ezra7_10 Ezra7_10 is offline

"Bob * Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Dan,

Double clicking theformatpainterwhen you have the formatting you wish to copy 'from' selected should work in print layout view.
It should stay on until you click theformatpainterin Home=Clipboard again or use the esc key. *Do you perhaps have a button on
your mouse defined as an Escape key? *Try doing a slower double click on theFormatPainteras well.

If you hold the ctrl key while starting Word do you have the same problem.
====
"CODan" wrote in ...
Thanks, and I'll use that.

Note that the double-clickpainterdoesn't work in ANY document now in Word 2007.
--

Bob *Buckland *?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

* *Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*- Hide quoted text -

Please explain the "simple workaround" for me, as this problem is
driving me crazy! What do you mean you insert the page number via
"quick parts"?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Click Insert - it's in the Text section of the ribbon.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

[...]