billybob

Default Separator line question please!

When you use a line to separate 2 items (paragraphs) on a document does that
have a specific name besides horizontal line? Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought
that I saw that somewhere along with a keyboard shortcut?

Stefan Blom

I think the name you are looking for is "paragraph border". As far as
I know, there is no predefined shortcut (at least not on my system).
Maybe you are thinking of Word's AutoFormat feature, which creates a
border if you type three or more of certain symbols (such as
asterisks) and then press ENTER? Read more about this at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...tRidOfLine.htm. Observe
that the article describes how to turn this feature off. You would
want to do the reverse, I guess...

Alternatively, paragraph borders can be added manually, via
FormatBorders and Shading. (This dialog box also enables you to add
borders to a table.)

The easiest way to insert paragraph borders would be to add them to a
paragraph style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"billybob" wrote in message
When you use a line to separate 2 items (paragraphs) on a document

does that
have a specific name besides horizontal line? Maybe I'm nuts, but I

thought
that I saw that somewhere along with a keyboard shortcut?

There is also a "Horizontal Line" option in Format | Borders and Shading,
but I can't really recommend it. It's intended as a separator for Web pages
(which I think perhaps don't support paragraph borders?), and it can be very
difficult to remove.

"billybob" wrote in message
When you use a line to separate 2 items (paragraphs) on a document

does that
have a specific name besides horizontal line? Maybe I'm nuts, but I

thought
that I saw that somewhere along with a keyboard shortcut?

billybob

Suzanne, I just highlighted it and hit any key and it was gone; however, I
didn't try to move it around as you mentioned.

I saw this specific name as I was surfing around in Word 2002. Not knowing
what it was I tried it and a very thin horizontal line appeared centered on
my document as if to separate the 2 items in the list (not necessarily
paragraphs). I spent 2 hours trying to find this named option again and so
far, no luck. I don't need it that much; it just bothers me that I can't
find it again. I believe the name had about 8 or 10 letters in it. What a
mystery, huh?

Well, it's for sure not the "horizontal line" from the Borders dialog
because I just tried that and got a dialog that offers a variety of
graphics; I think you'd remember doing that. I assume you're not talking
about something as basic as an em dash? You've certainly piqued my curiosity
now!

"billybob" wrote in message
Suzanne, I just highlighted it and hit any key and it was gone; however, I
didn't try to move it around as you mentioned.

I saw this specific name as I was surfing around in Word 2002. Not knowing
what it was I tried it and a very thin horizontal line appeared centered

on
my document as if to separate the 2 items in the list (not necessarily
paragraphs). I spent 2 hours trying to find this named option again and

so
far, no luck. I don't need it that much; it just bothers me that I can't
find it again. I believe the name had about 8 or 10 letters in it. What a
mystery, huh?

billybob

Thanks for giving it a shot Suzanne. If it has stumped you, then I can't
imagine anyone else knowing the answer either.
But...I have been wrong many times before.