Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cranberry1711 Cranberry1711 is offline

Default Save a mail merge main doc as separate records?

Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document into it's
individual records so as to save each letter as a separate file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Debs1967 Debs1967 is offline

Thanks Graham, I looked on your site and followed the link to Doug Robbins'
Word Add-in for individually saving merged documents. I've extracted the
add-in to where instructed but it isn't showing on the ribbon and nothing
happens when I finalise a mailmerge. Do you know what I've done wrong
please? I started Word before Outlook and from the start menu after
extracting the add-in. I don't have an Add-in tab on the ribbon. Thank you!

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document into it's
individual records so as to save each letter as a separate file
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Is the add-in listed as enabled in Word Options Add-ins?
Is the location you have extracted the add-in to listed as a trusted
location?

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document into
it's individual records so as to save each letter as a separate file
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The only place that it will appear in the ribbon is if you go the the
Developer tab and click on the Document Template item and look at the
Templates tab of the Templates and Add-ins dialog and the MMtoDocsRevnn.dot
item should appear there with a check mark against it.

There is no macro that you have to select and run to create the separate
documents. Just follow the steps on the website - Click on Edit Individual
Letters and after dealing with the dialog in which you can select the
records to be merged, the add-in then intercepts the Word merge operation
and the dialog that asks if you want to create a separate document for each
record will appear.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document into it's
individual records so as to save each letter as a separate file
please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Doug - The supplementary macro I added to the download to create a template
from the document, when the original template is not available should appear
on the add-ins tab, so lack of such a tab suggests that the add-in is not

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
The only place that it will appear in the ribbon is if you go the the
Developer tab and click on the Document Template item and look at the
Templates tab of the Templates and Add-ins dialog and the
MMtoDocsRevnn.dot item should appear there with a check mark against
it.
There is no macro that you have to select and run to create the
separate documents. Just follow the steps on the website - Click on
Edit Individual Letters and after dealing with the dialog in which
you can select the records to be merged, the add-in then intercepts
the Word merge operation and the dialog that asks if you want to
create a separate document for each record will appear.

news

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document into
it's individual records so as to save each letter as a separate
file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Debs1967 Debs1967 is offline

Thanks Doug and Graham, the MMtoDocsRevnn.dot item isn't showing when I go to
the Developer tab, click on Document Template item and look at the Templates
tab. Nothing is shown in there. Does this mean I have extracted the add-in to
the incorrect file and if so, what can I do? Thanks.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
The only place that it will appear in the ribbon is if you go the the
Developer tab and click on the Document Template item and look at the
Templates tab of the Templates and Add-ins dialog and the
MMtoDocsRevnn.dot item should appear there with a check mark against
it.
There is no macro that you have to select and run to create the
separate documents. Just follow the steps on the website - Click on
Edit Individual Letters and after dealing with the dialog in which
you can select the records to be merged, the add-in then intercepts
the Word merge operation and the dialog that asks if you want to
create a separate document for each record will appear.

news

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document into
it's individual records so as to save each letter as a separate
file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It seems you may have extracted the template to the wrong folder. The
correct folder for your copy of Word is defined in Word Options Advanced
File Locations Startup. Ensure that this folder is a trusted location (it
should be by default). Note you must extract the file from the zip, not
merely put the zip in this folder.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Doug - The supplementary macro I added to the download to create a
template from the document, when the original template is not
available should appear on the add-ins tab, so lack of such a tab
suggests that the add-in is not loading.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
The only place that it will appear in the ribbon is if you go the
the Developer tab and click on the Document Template item and look
at the Templates tab of the Templates and Add-ins dialog and the
MMtoDocsRevnn.dot item should appear there with a check mark against
it.
There is no macro that you have to select and run to create the
separate documents. Just follow the steps on the website - Click on
Edit Individual Letters and after dealing with the dialog in which
you can select the records to be merged, the add-in then intercepts
the Word merge operation and the dialog that asks if you want to
create a separate document for each record will appear.

news Thanks Graham, I looked on your site and followed the link to Doug

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document into
it's individual records so as to save each letter as a separate
file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DebraH DebraH is offline

Hi. I downloaded the add-in and I can see it on the add-in tab but there are
no button/icons on it. WHat happened? and more importantly - how do fix it?

--
Debra H

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document into
it's individual records so as to save each letter as a separate
file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you can see the wording "Create Template For the Merge Document" on the
add-ins toolbar - that wording is the button and the only button that the
add-in needs ... and you only need to use that as indicated in the web page
that accompanies the add-in when the original merge document template is
missing. The add-in functions activate automatically when you run the merge.

You need to read the web page again!

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document
into it's individual records so as to save each letter as a
separate file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DebraH DebraH is offline

Hi Doug,

I did that and something is still wrong - it seems to be ignoring the add-in
all together

--
Debra H

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document
into it's individual records so as to save each letter as a
separate file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Close Word and Outlook
Check for orphan temporary files -
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
Re-read the instructions on the web page to ensure that the unzipped
template file is in the correct folder.
Start Word
Open your merge document.
Merge to a new document.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Doug - The supplementary macro I added to the download to
create a template from the document, when the original
template is not available should appear on the add-ins tab, so
lack of such a tab suggests that the add-in is not loading.

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document
into it's individual records so as to save each letter as a
separate file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DebraH DebraH is offline

It's still not working. Is there way to completely remove this add-in and
start over. I thought I did that but apparently I must have missed something.
--
Debra H

Cranberry1711 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to quickly break down a mail merged document
into it's individual records so as to save each letter as a
separate file please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To remove it, just delete it from the Word Startup folder. Are you sure
that you installed it in that folder and not in the folder at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\STARTUP