Keith

Default Table headers/footers and layout

I'm using Microsoft Word 2003 and I have a few questions regarding
table formatting, layout, etc.

FYI, the styles I have set up include:

o Table Caption - paragraph style for the caption preceding the table
o Table Text - paragraph style for all text inside tables
o Strong - character style for emphasizing the table header contents
o Table Comments - paragraph style for commentary text following the
table

A few questions:

Repeating Table Captions
Is it possible to get the caption to repeat along with the header rows
when the table spans multiple pages? Is this common or even
recommended?

Repeating Table Footers
The table comment lines that follow the tables usually contain
information that helps the reader interpret the table (e.g. S =
supported, NS = not supported, etc.). Up to now I've been putting
extremely important "table key" information in a repeating header row,
but I'm curious if Word supports a repeating table footer or
something. Does it?

Layout of Table Footers
Most of the tables are smaller than the paragraph width and are
cenetered. While making a Table Comments style helped standardize
these paragraphs, now there's the issue of indenting all of them so
that the information flows with the table (same paragraph width,
etc.). I've played with adding this information to a final table row
and removing most of the border lines, but I'm curious to know if
there's a better alternative?

Thanks!

- Keith

If you put the table caption in the top row of the table, then it can repeat
along with the headings. As yet Word doesn't provide any way to do repeating
footers. I don't have comments below my tables, but I do often have notes,
and I generally put them in the bottom row (merged), without borders if the
table has them (though most of my tables don't).

news