Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Retired Retired is offline

Default Microsoft Office 2003 Word Line Spacing

I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my Windows XP
system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line spacing in Word. For
example, after typing the first line of text and hitting Enter, the cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally I use
single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when paragraph
separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Try Format, Paragraph and check the Space Before and After settings.
Usually, Space Before is set to 0pt and Space After to 12pts, but it sounds
as though it has changed one or other to a much larger value.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my Windows
XP system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line spacing in Word. For
example, after typing the first line of text and hitting Enter, the cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally I use
single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when paragraph
separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Retired Retired is offline

I took a look in Format/Paragraph. Space Before was set to 0 pt, Space after
was also set to 0 pt. Also spacing was set to single. I reset Space after to
12 pt, but it didn't help.

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my Windows
XP system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line spacing in Word.
For example, after typing the first line of text and hitting Enter, the
cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally I use
single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when paragraph
separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Retired Retired is offline

I just discovered that if I hold down SHIFT and then hit ENTER, normal line
advance will occur. How can I get that same result by just hitting ENTER?
Thanks.

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my Windows
XP system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line spacing in Word.
For example, after typing the first line of text and hitting Enter, the
cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally I use
single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when paragraph
separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The "halfway down the page" behavior usually indicates that you need to go
to File Page Setup Layout and change the vertical alignment to "Top".
Somehow it's become set to "Justified" (which has its uses, but they're very
few).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my
Windows XP system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line
spacing in Word. For example, after typing the first line of text
and hitting Enter, the cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally
I use single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when
paragraph separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Retired Retired is offline

Hi Suzanne:

Thank you for your correct answer. Jay just beat you to it by 3 seconds!

You all are the best!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the Layout tab of Page Setup, change the vertical alignment from
Justified to Top.

so
all may benefit.

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my Windows

XP
system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line spacing in Word. For
example, after typing the first line of text and hitting Enter, the
cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally I use
single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when paragraph
separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Try to explain to me why the insertion point doesn't jump down to the centre
of the page until after the first line of text has been entered and the
enter key has been pressed? I'd understand this solution if the insertion
point started off in the centre of the page!

On my computer, as soon as I change the Vertical Alignment to Centre, the
insertion point moves immediately to the centre of the empty page. I don't
have to enter any text and press enter.

Terry

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my
Windows XP system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line
spacing in Word. For example, after typing the first line of text
and hitting Enter, the cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally
I use single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when
paragraph separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I posted at 2:34 PM CDT, Jay at 2:40 PM?

"Retired" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne:

Thank you for your correct answer. Jay just beat you to it by 3 seconds!

You all are the best!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the Layout tab of Page Setup, change the vertical alignment from
Justified to Top.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my

Windows
XP
system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line spacing in Word.

For
example, after typing the first line of text and hitting Enter, the
cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally I

use
single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when paragraph
separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The text does start in the center if you have Center alignment selected. But
if you have "Justified" (as the OP did), then Enter takes you from top to
bottom (not center).

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my
Windows XP system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line
spacing in Word. For example, after typing the first line of text
and hitting Enter, the cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected? Normally
I use single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when
paragraph separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

A lot of us do post in batches (especially those who answer offline), and it
often results in the appearance of us stepping on each other's toes because
we're all operating "in the dark" so to speak. Occasionally there will be
essentially duplicate posts sent at the exact same time (great minds
thinking alike--and simultaneously!).

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on my
Windows
XP
system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line spacing in
Word.
For
example, after typing the first line of text and hitting Enter,

the
cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected?

Normally
use
single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when
paragraph
separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Retired Retired is offline

Come on, Suzanne - I was just joking. Who sent what-response-when is so
irrelevant, at least to me.

"Retired" wrote in message
I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for quite some time on
my
Windows
XP
system. Now suddenly I am experiencing strange line spacing in
Word.
For
example, after typing the first line of text and hitting Enter,

the
cursor
skips halfway down the page.

What is causing this behavior? How do I get it corrected?

Normally
use
single spacing for nearly everything to be typed, and when
paragraph
separation is desired, I just hit Enter.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Retired Retired is offline

Obviously.

"Retired" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne:

Thank you for your correct answer. Jay just beat you to it by 3
seconds!

You all are the best!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the Layout tab of Page Setup, change the vertical alignment
from
Justified to Top.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.