roskasara

Default How do I stop mail merged emails from sending automatically?

I have been expermenting with mail merge and have come across a problem. I
am using and Excel table as my data source. When I choose the merge output
to be an email the emails are sent automatically without me being able to
check it.

I have a feeling that the answer may be a macro. Am I right? and if so what
macro do I need to write?
Peter Jamieson

I would suggest that you find a way to stop your e-ail package from sending
automatically, and do that before each erge to e-ail. Then check the e-ails
in the Outbox, then switch on sending again. The trouble is, Ihave never
found a particularly easy way to do that in Outlook, but perhaps soeone else
here knows soething that works in all versions, or you ight find the answer
in an Outlook group. Also, I've never found an easy way to disable sending
teporarily /in code/.

I have a feeling that the answer may be a macro. Am I right? and if so
what
macro do I need to write?

I do not think this is likely to help (because even sending the e-mails one
at a time, they will still be transmitted immediately unless you can switch
off or delay transmission) unless the macro you write is in two parts, e.g.
a. one macro produces one output file for each e-mail (see examples in this
newsgroup for macro code to do this)
b. you inspect the output files
c. a second phase then takes the output files and e-mails them

However, even in that case, you do not necessarily get to check the e-mails
in exactly the same forat that they are sent.

Peter Jamieson

"roskasara" wrote in message
I have been expermenting with mail merge and have come across a problem. I
am using and Excel table as my data source. When I choose the merge
output
to be an email the emails are sent automatically without me being able to
check it.

I have a feeling that the answer may be a macro. Am I right? and if so
what
macro do I need to write?

sayling

One way I found of doing it was to go offline - either disconnecting you
network cable or dial up...

.... not very elegant, I'll grant you

"roskasara" wrote in message
I have been expermenting with mail merge and have come across a problem. I
am using and Excel table as my data source. When I choose the merge
output
to be an email the emails are sent automatically without me being able to
check it.

I have a feeling that the answer may be a macro. Am I right? and if so
what
macro do I need to write?

Graham Mayor

With Outlook - tools options mail setup send & receive - uncheck 'send
immediately when connected'. Messages will collect in the outbox. In fact it
is not a bad plan to leave it like this and use send & receive to send and
receive all e-mails. We have all sent e-mails that we didn't mean to send

"roskasara" wrote in message
I have been expermenting with mail merge and have come across a
problem. I am using and Excel table as my data source. When I
choose the merge output
to be an email the emails are sent automatically without me being
able to check it.

I have a feeling that the answer may be a macro. Am I right? and if
so what
macro do I need to write?

roskasara

Thanks for the tips - I have come to the conclusion that stopping my email
programme sending automatically is my best option.

I will just have to remember to do it before I send out 1000 of emails with
really bad typos