Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LarryMac LarryMac is offline

Default widow orphan control in Word 2007

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/ Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What else do I do?
Or, is this just not working.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you pressing Enter after each line of text? Then each line is in fact a
single paragraph, and the widow/orphan setting does not apply. Instead, press
Enter only when you need to create a new paragraph, and let Word handle the
line breaks automatically.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/ Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What else do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LarryMac LarryMac is offline

No, I use Enter at the end of the paragraph, only. What else could it be?

In this case, I have added the Widow check box to the Normal paragraph
style. Does that make a difference?

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/ Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What else do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Usually it should be sufficient to modify the Normal style, since it, by
default, is the "parent" style for most other styles in Word. But you
may want to verify that the setting is correctly enabled for any other
styles being used in the document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/

Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What else

do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Just to be clear on the terminology... Your description of the problem
suggests that what you may be witnessing is a situation where the *entire*
para is on the same page, but that the last word in the para is on a line by
itself. If so, this isn't considered a Widow/Orphan (which pertains to
breaks in paras that span page or column breaks) so the setting will have no
effect. Should this be the case there are other techniques that may help, so
post back if that's what is happening.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/21/07 3:02 AM, in article
, "LarryMac"

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/ Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What else do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LarryMac LarryMac is offline

Hmmm. I may be confused on the terminology.

Here is the situation:

I type four paragraphs, all with Normal style (which includes "Widow/Orphan"
check box). The first three paragraphs are on page one, but the last three
words of the third paragraph appear at the top of page two on their own line,
followed by the last paragraph (which begins on a new line, of course).

So it looks like this: (====== shows new page)

xx xx xx x xx x x x x x x x x x
xxxxxxxxx x xx xxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx x x x x xxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx
xx xx xx x xx x x x x x x x x x
xxxxxxxxx x xx xxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx x x x x xxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx
====================
xx xxxxx. --- WIDOW/ORPHAN
x xx x x x x x x x x xxxxx
xxxxxxxxx x xx xxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx x x x x xxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx
======================

I hope that is clear.

Larry

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/ Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What else do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

From your example, it seems as if you do have the correct terminology.
Something else must be wrong...

Do the paragraphs have "Keep with next" enabled?

Are there any footnotes in the text?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/

Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What else

do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LarryMac LarryMac is offline

No footnotes and "Keep with next" is NOT checked.

Here is the style info: Font: (Default) Garamond, 12 pt, Indent: First line:
0.5", Left, Line spacing: Multiple 1.25 li, Space After: 6 pt,
Widow/Orphan control, Style: Quick Style

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

From your example, it seems as if you do have the correct terminology.
Something else must be wrong...

Do the paragraphs have "Keep with next" enabled?

Are there any footnotes in the text?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/

Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What else

do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. I'm not using Word 2007 yet, but if I were,
I'd be happy to take a look at the document. Perhaps someone else will
offer to do that.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LarryMac" wrote in message
No footnotes and "Keep with next" is NOT checked.

Here is the style info: Font: (Default) Garamond, 12 pt, Indent: First

line:
0.5", Left, Line spacing: Multiple 1.25 li, Space After: 6 pt,
Widow/Orphan control, Style: Quick Style

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

From your example, it seems as if you do have the correct

terminology.
Something else must be wrong...

Do the paragraphs have "Keep with next" enabled?

Are there any footnotes in the text?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/

Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What

else
do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LarryMac LarryMac is offline

Thank you, Stefan.

I think this is a bug in Word 2007. I am not yet a fan of the new layout of
all the commands and bars. I wonder how they thought this up. It is VERY
difficult to remember where the various commands are. Some appear in two
places or are split between panes and tabs. It is as counterintuitive as one
can get.

"LarryMac" wrote in message
No footnotes and "Keep with next" is NOT checked.

Here is the style info: Font: (Default) Garamond, 12 pt, Indent: First

line:
0.5", Left, Line spacing: Multiple 1.25 li, Space After: 6 pt,
Widow/Orphan control, Style: Quick Style

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

From your example, it seems as if you do have the correct

terminology.
Something else must be wrong...

Do the paragraphs have "Keep with next" enabled?

Are there any footnotes in the text?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news Hmmm. I may be confused on the terminology.

"LarryMac" wrote:

I've set a style in Word 2007 /style/paragraph/pagination/
Widow&Orphan
control [checked].

However, one word widows continue to appear on pages. What

else
do I do?
Or, is this just not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I believe the idea of the new user interface was to "keep things in one
place" rather than having some settings that (by default, that is) was
available only on certain toolbars, and also make Word more context
sensitive. The idea actually makes sense, I think, but that doesn't
necessarily mean that we, the users, will like it...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LarryMac" wrote in message
No footnotes and "Keep with next" is NOT checked.

Here is the style info: Font: (Default) Garamond, 12 pt, Indent:

First
line:
0.5", Left, Line spacing: Multiple 1.25 li, Space After: 6 pt,
Widow/Orphan control, Style: Quick Style

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

From your example, it seems as if you do have the correct

terminology.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

[...]